Is schizophrenia more severe th eyounger you get it

Im just asking the question…

The prognosis of someone with schziphrenia is lower. Meaning the chance of a good full recovery is lower the younger you get it. This is due to people having schziphrenia later in their age attaining higher functioning. However don’t let this statistic deter you. I had schziphrenia at the normal age at 22 and I am going back to university soon. You can do it too.

2 Likes

This is exactly true. On average the younger people get schizophrenia, the less they recover (that doesn’t mean that its more severe - there is the full range of severity at every age). Additionally - like any average - half the people do better than that. So - there is good likelihood that you can do much better than average.

And treatments are better today than they used to be - so the outcomes are much better.

The important thing is to work hard towards getting a medication that works for you, and getting good therapy to help get you back to doing the things you want to do.

1 Like

My diagnosis happened at 22, I dropped out of college and was fired from my job. My aunt was diagnosed later in life. She lives off her pension after retiring early. But my cousin had it from a very early age and had a diminished capabilities and she killed her herself when I was just a baby.