Is Haldol any good

I’ve been on Haldol the last couple months. The only side effect I see is sleeping more.

Have you gained a lot of weight on it?

I’ve gained a lot of weight in general. I don’t think any more than usual on haldol.

I have seen it work like magic for some really ill people. Like others have said it has quite a big side effect profile - but you get lucky and be just fine on it. Speak to your doc about it.

It worked for me after a month of taking it but it made me gain a bunch of weight. It also made my eyes roll back in my head alot. I tried geodon after gaining the weight and it works without the side effects and immediately. For me, anyway.

Hi

I am on 3 mg of Haldol a night. I put on a lot of weight on Risperdal, Invega and amisulpride but have stayed static on Haldol. It makes me sleepy though. I like it and have had no shaking problems at this small dose. It gets rid of all my voices and paranoia. My balance feels out somewhat with it but that happened on all aps.

Hippo

1 Like

I was on risperidone, I gained weight while on it. I’m on Haldol and latuda. I’ve been on latuda for almost 4 years. I’ve only been on Haldol for about a year. I haven’t gained weight on it. but I have noticed a twitch in my legs. My old doc put me on a med for the twitches but it isn’t working.

If you’re thinking about Haldol, think about Perphenazine . . .

2 Cents

Perphenazine, or Trilafon, worked Ok for me but made me feel depressed when I tried to up the dosage. Funnily enough the Pdoc asked me try Haldol. It does not make me depressed and no EPS, but mainly because I am on a low dose.

Haldol is the WORST med ive ever talen. I gained 70 pounds in just 3 months and got terrible parkinsonism. If i was forced to take an old antipsycotic, i would not take haldol.

If youre wery psycotiv, it is wery potent, but other than taking away positive sympt its a bad drug. I was taking16 mg, when i was on it.

For further information, consider these personal accounts: drugs.com/comments/haloperidol/

Haldol was just ok for me. Made me gain weight and made my eyes roll black in my head when I was even slightly tired/been doing anything at all for more than 15 minutes. Geodon (ziprasidone) is supposed to operate similarly without the side effects. Geodon has been a dream drug for me.

1 Like

I gained about 20 pounds when I was put on Haldol. It didn’t seem like I was eating that much, too. My eating increased only the smallest bit, and I gained 20 lbs on it.

Me too. …

1 Like

I know!! My doctor and scriptologist said they did a combimed 9 hours studying different drugs because they wanted to help me so much and get me off Haldol… Stopping me from gaining weight… and Geodon is what they came up with.

@crimby I thought I replied to you in my last post I am not sure if I did it successfully :stuck_out_tongue:

You did …

I do not like what so ever. I feel that is for other people’s concern and has little to do but stigmatize. It may work for some but it’s mostly about behavior control. In the o ld Soviet zUnion people were given this type of drug that gave the stiff slow walk to visibly indicate that you was crazy. It was used to discredit persons. Anybody should read Sell vs. United States 539 US 166 (2003) and see what you think.l

Haldol decanoate (the injection, 75mgs(?) every 2 weeks) worked well for me, quieted the voices, almost too much though, people thought I wasn’t around because I no longer talked out loud to myself.
I also liked 5mgs in the tablet form, and when a bit nutty can do 10 mgs to get back down to earth with no adverse side effects.
Works differently for everyone, take all answers with a grain of salt, and remember, your mileage may vary.

Thinking haldol is good is a sin in my book. It worked maybe 25%. Couldnt do much on it like leave the house or work.