Effexor (venlafaxine)

I just realized it was an snri today o.O Initially I was nervous about trying classes of ADs outside of ssris because they can aggravate psychotic symptoms due to their influence of dopamine reuptake. However I did some reading on it and apparently it doesn’t actually effect dopamine reuptake until higher doses, so as long as I stay on a moderate to lower dose I should be fine.

Took the first pill today and after a couple hours I became fairly drowsy and passed out. I’m fine with this. Zoloft made me pretty drowsy when I started on it as well but it went away. As long as I don’t get anxiety!! Jeez!! (Lexapro was just awful) Fingers crossed this will be a good med for me that I won’t ever have to drop bc of nasty side effects!! Still too soon to tell but I can hope!

4 Likes

Good luck. Hope it works for you hon

1 Like

I’m on Brintellix (Vortioxetine). It’s not an SSRI and I don’t know what class it is but I didn’t want an SSRI as they can cause permanent sexual dysfunction. You might want to check Brintellix out in the future if you have any problems. It seems to have pulled me out of a bad depression.

Sertraline can cause permanent sd !?!:scream:

I take venlafaxine (generic), and the only real side effect is sweating. I don’t mind venlafaxine and it doesn’t cause sexual side effects for me. It’s actually okay I guess.

Venlafaxine is a serotonin nor-adrenaline reuptake inhibitor, it has very little effect on dopamine levels even at a higher dose. It mainly the maoi’s antidepressants that increase dopamine as well as serotonin and nor-adrenalin.
If you come of Venlafaxine, reduce the amount you take over time to prevent withdrawal effects.

1 Like

I took venlafaxine for years with heat intolerance, terribly excessive sweating as the only side effect. After being off it for several years, I tried it again a few months ago. Besides the sweating, this time it came with sexual side effects. I refused to keep taking it. It’s weird how a new side effect can pop up like that. Zyprexa was my go-to antipsychotic for years, but when I was tried on it again back in June it caused me unbearable akathisia, something I had never experienced from it before.

Good luck with it Anna, fingers crossed it goes ok. I’m glad you’re trying something again.

1 Like

How do you feel now Anna. Is the venlafaxine still helping.