Can you think yourself into a different person?

We used to believe our brains couldn’t be changed. Now we believe they can – if we want it enough. But is that true? Will Storr wades through the facts and fiction.

Discusses neuroplasticity and epigenetics.

1 Like

Brain is a physical organ. What you mean is that can the Self be Changed?. Changing the Self changes the Consciousness and you become the “Different Person” you talk of

not exactly.

what neuroplasticity means is that if you work on a specific subject for a while you learn it, if you train yourself to a skill you master it, the same with the brain and kinds of thinking. It’s wonderful for us with obsessive thoughts and stuff like that.

Did you read the article?

1 Like

No I dont know neuroplasticity and havent read anything on it. The only thing I know is that of course you train a Human to think differently but more importantly is it something that the human you train into really likes or wants?.

I mean I know that Businesmen and say those pursuing Doctorate think and view their worlds quite differently. You can also become a different person by proper training from a competent psychoanalyst/therapist but the important question to be asked is whether becoming that different person is what you really want in the first place?

It’s not like the person changes. I don’t think you understand it very well to be discussing it.

yes I am ignorant of it. The original OP post was into a different person and so I assumed

1 Like

I read the article and personally I’m a bit skeptical of the author’s skepticism. No scientist ever got fired for being too ‘skeptical’ and negative.

1 Like

I believe people can change as they ages… as they experience different things…

I’m not the person I used to be. I’m glad of that…

2 Likes

Me too. I can only cringe when I look at some of the ways I’ve behaved in the past.

It’s a biological computing device. It can be reprogrammed within the constraints of the hardware (wetware?) and what limitations are in place from the current programming.

Pixel.

When you realize getting upset about someone else’s problems just gives them more power over you, letting it all roll off from toxic & ugly people sounds pretty good…

Mind over matter…but everyone has their limitations

yes
take care :alien:

“We do not think ourselves into new ways of living, we live ourselves into new ways of thinking.”

― Richard Rohr

1 Like

The AA aphorism for that is - “You can’t think yourself into right acting, but you can act yourself into right thinking.”

1 Like