Antidepressant Drug May Actually Encourage Growth Of New Brain Cells

An analysis of the rats’ brains showed that stress had a detrimental impact on neurogenesis, the growth of new brain cells, and also shortend their lives. Stress also contributed to the formation of shorter neurons with fewer connections. Clozapine appeared to reverse these effects.

Researchers note in the paper that a large proportion of patients treated with currently available antidepressant drugs fail to get better. Hopefully, this study will provide some vital clues for future effective treatments.

4 Likes

As suspected. I think for a while now periods of psychosis and depression are thought to cause damage to the brain. Stress isn’t good for sufferers and that is long reported!

I think the good thing is that antipsychotics may improve brain chemistry. That is a good thing to see confirmed!

You get those negatives though…that is the modern pharma’s hold grail!

Isn’t Clozapine a neuroleptic? Not an anti-depressant?

This has been known for ages that SSRI’s especially can help people, but so does exercise and meditation and reading and socializing. Keep those things in mind before you just pop a pill.

This title is a bit misleading. Generally the brain cells u r born with is the amount u will have for life. They found in a couple areas there’s an exception where the brain cells rejuvinate, but we dont know how big of an impact that even has on overall cognition.

I would rather be brain dead than take clozapine

1 Like