A review on the relationship between gluten and schizophrenia: Is gluten the cause?

DISCUSSION: There were no consistent results in the clinical, immunological, microbiological, and epidemiological studies that investigated the relationship between schizophrenia and celiac disease. This presents a need for a larger scale study to confirm the presence of this suggested correlation between schizophrenia and celiac disease. The underlying mechanisms between the two diseases should be explored.

5 Likes

I try to stay away from gluten and have for many years - no celiac, but I am intolerant. I’m sure over the long haul, I feel different as a result. I’ve told people that like my sister who took my nephew off of gluten because of autism. I definitely think there’s something important to this.

Maybe in another twenty years they’ll prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that there wasn’t any correlation between gluten and schizophrenia.
One can only hope

4 Likes

Why does it always seem like they’re grasping at straws?
Atleast they’re trying…?

1 Like

They always have found THE cause but we know it is MULTI-causal.

3 Likes

I have to give the “scientists” points for creativity.

The next scientific study should focus on whether eating too many Twinkies is the cause of schizophrenia.

5 Likes

Allergies play a big factor in my moods, and it’s not easy to figure out just what combination of stuff causes what .

Yeah, I miss gluten

I was gluten free for 8 weeks, but there was no change in schizophrenia symptoms. Unless you have to go longer I don’t know.

1 Like

I don’t think I really ate much leading up to my first episode. I did smoke a lot of weed and drink a lot of coffee though. There might have even been lsd the weed was dipped in.

I don’t know if gluten relates to schizophrenia. What I do think though is that processed foods affect physical health and that probably CAN affect mental health. It’s like cutting cocaine, but with food, mostly meant to make profit and not meant to improve nutrition. I think I should eat more bananas.

1 Like

I get confusion and depression as symptoms from allergies.

But I’m not allergic to or sensitive to wheat.

I did try going gluten free. Lost weight (because guess what, no pizza) but other than that, nothing.

I actually have Celiac disease. Following the diet helped me lose weight (my innards weren’t destroying themselves anymore) but it had no effect on my hallucinations. Actually almost nothing has. Rexulti might be helping slightly.

Most of the people who avoid gluten are a damn sight crazier than I am. Less functional, too.

1 Like

I wish domino’s made a pizza that actually was guaranteed gluten free for Celiacs rather than people who are just doing it because they think it may help. I tried it anyway and probably got glutened.

Wrong Forum, maybe.

I tried a gluten-free Pizza once. It was disappointing. Celiac does run in my family though, which I guess should make me go hmm.

1 Like

I feel sorry for celiacs.

read stuff like this, tried a gluten free diet for 2 months, very strict. no changes so i went back to normal diet, and again no changes.

1 Like