Zyprexa and clozapine together?

Anyone experience both meds- zyprexa and clozapine together? I checked online and not much about the combination. I read about Zyprexa ( i know about weight, blood sugar, tiredness) but son seems to encounter the more unusual responses to meds.

Son’s Clozapine (200mg) was going well for 6 months, but blood test showed need to lower dose to 175mg. At lower dose, symptoms of voices increase. Two days ago Zyprexa 10 mg was added (Seroquel 150mg was discontinued) .

I know it takes time to see changes, but I fear some strange responses. In the past year, since his illness onset, he had very serious reactions to medications.

Appreciate any info on the combination or Zypreza.

Zyprexa and Clozaril have a potential for some harsh medication interactions. Some of the side effects of this combo can include movement disorders such as akathisia and tremor, and marked sedation, which are caused by the effects of the medications’ lowering of dopamine in the brain. While these meds can be taken together, it’s best that the client and treatment team monitor for these side effects.

Having been on varying dosages of clozapine myself, I did have some issues with movement disorders in my legs, hands, and mouth. Also extreme salivation (to the point that it woke me several times per night). These side effects do occur as the dose of the clozapine increases, with the duration of taking it, as well as when other antipsychotics are used in combination.

Here is some info on the topic

"clozapine + olanzapine (Zyprexa): Significant Potential Interactions - Monitor Closely
clozapine and olanzapine both increase antidopaminergic effects, including extrapyramidal symptoms and neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Monitor.

clozapine and olanzapine both increase sedation. Monitor"

“Extrapyramidal Side Effects (EPS):
The acute movement disorders that occur as manifestations of effects of neuroleptics and other dopamine antagonists include akathisia, acute dystonia, and other hyperkinetic dyskinesias.
Acute effects of dopamine antagonists also include parkinsonian syndromes manifested by bradykinesia, rigidity, and pill rolling tremor. The acute movement disorders resulting from exposure to dopamine antagonists are commonly termed extrapyramidal syndromes (EPSs).”

Reference: Medscape, 2015

Blessings,

Anthony

4 Likes

Sounds perfectly dreadful to me.

Yeah clozapine and zyprexa are two of the most potent atypicals on the market. it seems like just to hold on to clozapine , they are going to great lengths , that may not be worth it.how about just putting clozapine behind you and I hate to say it, start again.

Good luck with it

Also, expect weight gain on the order of what Dr. Banner experiences every time he gets angry, except that it won’t be muscle.

10-96

I wouldn’t recommend doing that as they both have similar side effects and combining them both could make you extremely ill, Zyprexa is especially hard on your body and making things worse could easily give you diabetes or some other hormonal problem.

Thanks for the feedback, and the responses were what I expected unfortunately.