Schizophrenia.com

Writing an article: positives about schizophrenia?

Im writing an article about some positive aspects about schizphrenia, since all the stuff u ever read about are the negatives about schizophrenia which i feel doesn’t fully represent the entirety of the illness. So coming from all of us. What are some positive things that have come to ur life with schizophrenia? For me it helps me look at mundane drama and make it a small thing rather then blowing it out of proportion. And it helps me enjoy the little things more.

8 Likes

It gave me a second chance to see what I really want to do in college and be apart of a great community on this forum.

7 Likes

The label ‘schizophrenia’ was a bit of a relief for me. Now at least there was a name for all the strangeness that had been going on.

7 Likes

I paint angels that have often deeply touched people’s lives. Sz has certainly caused a lot of pain, but without it I would not see and therefore paint angels.

4 Likes

for me, my paranoia has come in handy. it has brought me great misery and fear, but along with it, acceptance of surveillance…peace of mind. Since I felt (due to delusion and paranoia from sz) surveillance has been a part of my life since I was 19, this revelation that their is, indeed, domestic surveillance has no negative impact on me, as this has been my truth all along. I have been inoculated from the Orwellian reality.
:slight_smile:
I always wanted to tell someone that! What a relief, I finally got that off my chest.

2 Likes

I understand the complexities of the universe… I witnessed the beginning and end and then its rebirth and found comfort in its cycle. Through destruction comes creation. Thats the only real positive for me.

1 Like

It taught me to stand up and fight for my goals and needs. Instead of being a push-over, I’ve adapted to be more tenacious and steadfast. For example, when my wife goes to the ER or deals with sticky situations, I’m now more assertive and determined. “Don’t take no for an answer,” has become my rallying cry.

1 Like

Okay, I have a phenomenon where my voices in different voices will repeat what others have said to me at random times. This includes lectures. Yes, it is boring and painful to hear but I will get repeats of random parts in lectures. Voices sometimes do this during exams and such. It can be useful.

I’ve had them scream things at me that I have used.

2 Likes

my SZ has saved my life several times…the paranoia kept me from pulling out in front of a truck that seemed to be going the speed limit, but if I had pulled out at that time, he would have t boned me.

Another time I kept ‘hearing’ things in the woods and ended up dropping to the ground after hearing a ‘shout’ and avoided being shot by a kid target practicing with a 22…

And the third time, the voices kept telling me to get up, to get out of the house, this was when I had first moved into my apartment two years ago, it turned out my space heater had malfunctioned and was filling the room with carbon monoxide. Without my SZ I never would have realized something was wrong.

1 Like

one of my “hallucinations” is a bear or dog that stays by my left leg. It is comforting.

Not all hallucinations are bad. When work seems like a building full of crazy people, I see a cartoon circus playing out in front of me. Some hallucinations help lighten the mood!

3 Likes

The strenght I found in dealing with the illness, the recovery oriented mindset that changed my life. I was prone to self destructive behaviors, well not anymore.

3 Likes

It’s helped me to accept myself the way I am, and to be less judgemental of of others. It also gives me an insight into life I might not have had without being sz.

1 Like

The same me. I look after myself better, I have more patience and understanding for myself, appreciate more little things in life. The recovery also has given me the strength that everything is possible. Paradoxically I am more fulfilled in my life I had ever been before the diagnosis. More grateful, more laid back, generally more affirmative of things. I stopped drinking, smoking, overworking, started exercising, doing crafts, pleasing myself with little things (massages, good healthy dinners, little treats…), sleeping at least 7hrs per day… All these changes had to do towards my recovery to be able to stay healthy but I think they are beneficial to everyone… All of all when I follow the mantra off looking after myself I had never felt healthier and happier in my life… It’s like my illness gave me the right and necessity (excuse?) of looking after myself so then I don’t feel guilty anymore. like “I have suffered enough already” attitude so then now I can be more egoistic and concentrated on my needs than on everybody else…

2 Likes

The difficulty of being around people (due to paranoid delusions) has proved to be a massive benefit. Culture tends to be hyperactive, typically a bad energy and influence. Solitude has proved to be the most liberating and enlightening state of being. Solitude, combined with a good internet connection, has opened up my world to some very amazing things. I’ve been able to reflect inward instead of being shaped by externals. The peace and beauty of solitude has been pivotal in some significant psycho-spiritual advancement. Culture doesn’t promote that kind of positive change.

Independence, freedom, truth, detachment, insight, perspective, peace, love, goodness, virtue - all these have developed in me much more than they would have before my symptoms. Sometimes the confusion and emotional pain of symptoms makes it possible for me to do what I otherwise wouldn’t be able to do.

My paranoia makes me feel like cops are always right behind me when I’m driving. As a result, people say I’m the safest driver they know. I always feel like my boss is watching me from a camera at work, and so I always put forth my best effort, just in case.

2 Likes

I liken the positives of my schizophrenia to being a victim of rape. I once read a Buddhist teacher say to a woman who had been raped, “You are fortunate to have had the experience you have had. Now you can give others hope.” The woman immediately saw the wisdom in this llama’s words. Since developing schizophrenia, I have written twenty books, and I have a popular blog at www.mentalhealthbooks.net. There, I have curated a list of the “Best Books about Schizophrenia” http://www.mentalhealthbooks.net/2015/12/best-books-about-schizophrenia .I wish everyone here healing and hope!