Would like to become a nurse

Thanks @Sardonic

They would let you. Id like to become a nurse just to hang out with all the cool nurses i know at my local psych ward.

1 Like

Thanks@GrayBear

1 Like

@ladawn32977, It could very well be argued that people with severe MI like sz, sza, and bipolar have illnesses bad enough that do affect their judgment adversely. I know my sza adversely affected my judgment and I lost my RN license due to it. Just saying. It can happen. A warning.

:grinning:ā€¦,ā€¦

I donā€™t see why not. But it raises another, perhaps more interesting question: What features would an occupation have to have in order for it not to be suitable for someone with a well-controlled mental disorder?

It seems to me like perhaps the biggest problem would be a job that requires a constantly changing sleep schedule, as that could trigger episodes and, depending on what kind of medication one is taking, be incompatible with regular dosing (e.g., if someone takes a sedating atypical neuroleptic medication in the evening before bed, a job that requires irregular sleep would interfere with that).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m going for, im going for lpn first then RN then BSN. Iā€™m in CNA classes right now.

1 Like

You can become a nurse however in some states they require you to report to the state board of nursing if you have a psychotic or other mental disorder in order to be approved to take the nclex and in some cases to even be accepted into nursing school. Youā€™ll generally have to have your doctor or therapist write a note saying they think you are fit to do it. Once you have reported they tend to put you on a period of probation where you are not allowed to have any overtime and may have to have regular meetings with some group or drug tests, to make sure you have it together. Not all states require this though, you should research it on the website of your stateā€™s board of nursing.

I am in an accelerated nursing program now and it is difficult and very high stress. There is a LOT to keep track of and it requires being highly organized. Keep that in mind and think about your stability and how you handle stress. If you feel iffy about it, a 4 year slower paced program may be better for you, though it is still hard work.

Other than that though if you are stable and have the grades and any prereqs needed to get into nursing school then I say do it!

5 Likes

If youā€™re stable enough, certainly.

Welcome to the community.

1 Like

@ladawn32977ā€¦go for itā€¦youd have a good advantage having sz as it isā€¦

1 Like

Thank you everybody :hugs:

That is what I was thinking. I think it is great that you want to be a nurse.

1 Like

Thank you @Crimby :sparkling_heart:

I didnā€™t know about that, I wonder if you have to report for lpn. Iā€™ll look into, thanks for the info.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.