Worse outcomes of never-treated compared to treated patients with schizophrenia: 14-year follow-up study in rural China

Conclusions:

Many patients with schizophrenia still do not receive antipsychotic medication in rural areas of China. The 14-year follow-up showed that outcomes for the untreated group were worse.

Community-based mental healthcare, health insurance and family intervention are crucial for earlier diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation in the community.

Source:

4 Likes

To SzAdmin: Are the worse long-term outcome of never-treated patients unrelated to other problems? Is this the conclusion you make?

doesn’t surprise me.
whenever I hear someone wanting to get off meds I kind of let out a cringe like nails being scrapped against a blackboard in school.
It’s really important to take them unless you have serious side effects, some people have no idea though.

1 Like

Did this class of people come from dirt poor rural or are we talking lower or middle class people.
That would make a large difference.

As middle or lower class we still have access to self education via the Internet if we are willing to learn.

This class is probably not fluent in reading English either so there access to information is limited as well as China does control information more although I have no idea what they do with mental health information

Personally I think that the treat versus not treat debate is similar to the current vaccinate against childhood diseases versus not vaccinate. We have lived with these medications for nearly 3 generations and we are beginning to forget how terrible the outcome of the diseases were before these medications were available. Just look at a few of the psychiatry videos on youtube from before 1950, it’s a real eye opener. Patients in mental hospitals would scream non stop for days and go for a week without any sleep at all etc

1 Like

I see lot of mentally ill homlesses without meds. They do much better than i when i cut down my med. before i started taking med, i was in a much better shape, after medication, if now i want to stop taking meds. I will be 10X worst.

1 Like

Not sure exactly what you’re asking. The worse long-term outcomes of never treated, or under-treated and over-treated people all seems to be strongly related to how well people do on medications, and the impact of the medications on their bodies - good and bad.

More here:

Why were they never treated? Poverty etc (other problems) may also result in the worse long-term outcome… No?

1 Like

In the China study it was a rural China study - virtually everyone in Rural china is poor - so thats not a differentiating factor in this study.

To really understand the study you need to read the full research paper. Unfortunately I don’t have that.

SzAdmin Quote: “To really understand the study you need to read the full research paper.”

I agree