Very long-term outcome of schizophrenia

4 Likes

:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

That’s pretty good. Win for the APs.

I don’t think 5 years is “very long term” but since this is an analysis of multiple studies, I suppose that’s the minimum.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting read.

I’ve had it for 38 years. Today at work I was friendly most of the day and people reciprocated. Some people honestly laugh when I say what’s funny to me, some are probably faking it. People seem to like me and I try to be nice to people. This is my life and this is my outcome at age 57 years old. I got my car and I survive driving all over my area by playing Led Zeppelin on my CD player… I am not a statistic.

3 Likes

@ 77nick77 My grandfather is now 80 years old. He has had schizophrenia since he was 15 yrs old. He has gotten so much better over the years. He says that it becomes easier with less and less symptoms. In his 20’s … those were the worst years…but then he developed coping skills … much as you must have done. My grandmother tells me stories about how he made himself concentrate to a point where the voices and hallucinations/delusions would go away. Plus, he was on Haldol. He doesn’t need it anymore… he says the schizophrenia goes away when we get older. I am 17 & battle schizophrenia… (there is a genetic component)… and find him an inspiration. He never wanted to be a statistic, either … My grandfather always watches comedies and reads the comic books (Archie, Jughead) … “A merry heart hath a continual feast” … that is his favorite verse. God bless!

3 Likes

This is optimistic. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

OK, first of all, you’re grandfather should be king because he has such great taste in comic books and I suspect he likes the Three Stooges too.

But seriously, I’m sorry you have to go through this at such a young age. I can imagine how badly it must complicate your life. But I have a similar experience as your grandfather, when I reached about 45 my symptoms decreased both in frequency and intensity and certain delusions just disappeared. Now I’m 57 and I experience peace of mind. My mind gets quiet sometimes and my thoughts slow down. I never thought my schizophrenia would allow these to happen. Also, a major problem that I am confident will be solved is the problem of always having a general fear all the time. I was in my car a month ago and fear just left me for a few minutes. I know I will have more moments like that. So look at us old folks and have hope for yourself. My symptoms have not all disappeared but the ones that landed me in the hospitals a dozen times in my twenty’s have dramatically lessened.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I wish you and your grandfather good luck.

2 Likes

@77nick77 Yes! loves the Three Stooges. It’s such an encouragement to hear that you made it through those hospital stays and now you have peace of mind. You are very resilient and have a strong tanacity for life. It will go away… My grandfather said that many people , like himself… never come out and actually say that they were “cured” or have “recovered” because there is still a stigma when it comes to this. Actually, it begins when our adrenals burn out… we can’t handle the stress anymore…just simple stress … and it works its way up the pituitary system to a little speck of the mind… That is why Omega 3 fish oil or Niacin (Nicotinic acid) balanced out with Vit C… works for many people… including himself. He has been taking this since Hoffer gave it to his patients in the 1950’s … My grandfather has all of Hoffer’s books… all underlined and now highlighted. He had to get used to the flush and get blood tests to make sure it was not thinning out his blood. I just started on this regime. But only 20 mg of Nicotinic Acid… He is taking 4grams of Nicotinic Acid. Well, I pray that you get more peace of mind everyday. God bless you xx

1 Like