Working on disability

Do you work on SSDI or other disability service?

What kind of jobs or careers are the best for you?

I do but it’s been a struggle. i am self employed and that works the best for me. I basically work when i feel good.

I never really felt like i should be on disability. i remember when i first got on. we had gone out to eat and i had a BIL say sarcastically that they had to pay for me. I had been hallucinating for over a year consistently, hadn’t worked or paid bills, had thousands of debt. I also got criticism for living with my mom and not paying rent even though i couldn’t afford too. also i felt like i had no control over my life. Because i had debt. All my money went to debt. my family basically could tell me what to do and i have no control over any decision.

SSDI is very rule based. I didn’t learn enough about it. DONT GO TO DISABILITY101 if you are on SSDI>

DON"T GO TO THIS WEBSITE db101(dot) org they try to act like they are for you but their ulterior motive is to get people off disability. i wouldn’t be surprised if it’s run by a conservative type organization.

1 Like

SSDI although i resisted it i needed it and it’s helped me a lot.

1 Like

My SSDI just ended. I am waiting on my final letter I went back to work full time this year.

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up! I hope all is well with you and disability. In my experience I get to stressed out to work because of symptoms that bother me and make me unable to work.

1 Like

That’s impressive. I hope it works out for you!

1 Like

i can do self employment because i can work when i want. I thought of getting a part time job but i hate having to call in sick or deal with that stuff and answer questions. I also might have problems working with others and paranoia. so I much prefer self employment. so i understand you forlorn.

1 Like

Thank you man, yeah I completely sympathize and empathize with you. Adulting is hard for us with this disease, but we got to keep being strong. Hope you find what you are looking for!

1 Like

I’m about to start working at Goodwill or somewhere similar via vocational rehab. I’m kinda scared, but I feel good at the same time.

1 Like

I had a pickup truck and I used to go every week to government GSA (General Services Administration) furniture auctions. They were fixed price and bookshelves were all identical and 20 dollars, I took them home and shined them up and sold them on Craigslist for 200 dollars apiece.

I also collected pieces of what are called Barrister Bookshelves. They are made of interchangeable, stackable shelves with glass doors on each one. They have a base, a top, and as many shelves as you stack in between. Got a good profit on those as well, even had one I used personally assembled from good parts over a year for about 100 dollars, sold it for 900 when I needed the money and didn’t have the means to take it with me when I moved.

I crashed my truck during onset and the auctions have since been permanently ended. I’m not sure what the reason for ending the auctions was, I never asked. I was on disability before onset though, for my Bipolar, so I was working on disability. I could handle the same job again today if I had a truck and knew of another great place to buy furniture, I’ve recovered a lot and can drive alright again.

1 Like

and oh yeah I’m on SSI

1 Like

That sounds cool. :grin:

You can do it falcon. Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.