Wishing I could go back to school/work

I was in law school on scholarship but had to drop due to hospital admission. I can’t go back because I can’t think or remember anything. It really sucks. I hate that I need government funds to survive. I do,t know what I’d do if anything happened to my husband,d. I can’t handle school or work right now. I feel so hopeles. :frowning:

I couldn’t handle school or work for a while either. But I started recovering little by little, and now I’ve regained almost all of my cognitive skills. I worked with a speech-language pathologist on cognitive rehab. You should see if your insurance will cover this for you. It made a huge difference in my life. I went into it not being able to read more than two sentences at a time, forgetting what I was doing halfway through any task, and losing track of my words halfway through a thought. Now, I’m doing fantastically, cognitively.

6 Likes

Wow @ninjastar I never even knew that therapy existed!

2 Likes

I got access to it because of a head injury, but I do think it should be available to anyone with cognitive decline.

It was very hard work. I used to have to nap for a solid hour after appointments. I had to listen to boring tapes and answer questions, count the number of letters in words, play weird pattern games, and also so much bananagrams.

1 Like

I’m looking in my state and it all requires TBI. :frowning:

Sorry. I guess, in a way, I’m lucky I got cracked in the head.

Well, I’m glad it helped you.

Hey, how long did it take you to recover? I’ve been sick one year and recovered in a number of areas. I hope to dear God I recover to normal functioning by next year.

I’ve had schizophrenia for at least fifteen years, and I started recovering about five years ago. But I was against meds and therapy for a long time. Once I started getting serious about my treatment, it didn’t take too long to see improvement. But it’s an ongoing battle.

Cognitively, I was at my worst after the head injury three years ago. It took me a year and a half to recover from that.

1 Like

I had a head injury years ago. I’ve been on AP’s some 2014. Sometimes I think they make my memory worse.