Why we get voices

Why do I hear voices?

There are lots of reasons why you might hear voices. Here are some of them

Voices as you fall asleep or wake up– these are to do with your brain being partly in a dreaming state. The voice might call your name or say something brief. You might also see strange things or misinterpret things you can see. These experiences usually stop as soon as you are fully awake.

• Lack of sleep
    cause you to hear voices or have other sensory experiences that you can’t explain in everyday ways.

• Hunger – you may hear voices if you are very hungry or if you haven’t eaten much recently.

• Physical illness – if you have a high temperature and are delirious you may hear voices or see and say strange things.

• Drugs – you may hear or see things after taking [recreational drugs] or as a side effect of some prescribed drugs. You might also have these experiences when you are coming off drugs.

• Stress or worry – you may hear voices while feeling very [stressed] anxious or worried.

• Bereavement – if you have recently [lost someone very close] you may hear them talking to you or feel that they are with you. This experience is very common and some people find it comforting.

• Abuse or bullying – you may start hearing voices after being [abused] or bullied. This can include hearing the voice of someone who abused you being unkind or threatening or ordering you to harm yourself or do things that you know are wrong.

• Other traumatic experiences – you may hear voices as a result of other traumas, which can be associated with [post-traumatic stress disorder]

• Spiritual experiences – some people hear a voice as part of a spiritual experience. This may be a very special experience and one that you feel helps you make sense of your life. Or you may feel as though you are hearing the voice of an evil spirit.

• Mental health problems – you may hear voices as a symptom of some mental health problems, including psychosis, [schizophrenia], [bipolar disorder] [schizoaffective disorder] or severe [depression]

Source : https://www.mind.org.uk

3 Likes

If anyone know other Causes feel free to comment.

I was told that it is possible to hear voices when you are suffering from depression. But I don’t know if that is true.

2 Likes

Yes, in psychotic depression

3 Likes

How do I know if my voices aren’t normal then? If it’s not stress or hunger or so on? Or an evil spirit? Alien is one.

1 Like

How about hearing voices when a furnace, fan, or a/c is running? @Yellowdiamond

3 Likes

Ask your doctor… I guess its your illness…

1 Like

I dont know, probably illness.

1 Like

I’m attributing my problem with having voices to being nucking futs.

Y’know?

4 Likes

:upside_down_face: Fifteen fifteen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.