Why one Penn State student is starting a non-profit organization for students with schizophrenia

@mortimermouse will like this I think. Its great to see stories like this - and I hope more organizations like this form around the world.

Earlier this year, Cecilia McGough opened up about her mental illness for the first time.

In front of a full Foster Auditorium, McGough, a Schreyer Honors College senior studying astronomy and astrophysics, discussed schizophrenia, a mental illness she said is not discussed enough.

“On college campuses when people talk about mental health, it’s usually about anxiety, depression and stress,” she said. “While those are very important to talk about, other mental illnesses like schizophrenia get shied away from because they make people feel uncomfortable.”

In her talk entitled “I Am Not A Monster: Schizophrenia,” McGough taught students about the aspects of her mental illness they may have never known before. She defined schizophrenia in numerous different ways, explaining that it is a chronic and severe mental disorder that affects how a person thinks, feels and behaves.

Read the full story:

4 Likes

Great read, thanks :slight_smile:

Sums up so wel how sz is not included in society’s sympathy with mental health issues.