Why don't I have a diagnosis yet?

So, I still don’t have an official diagnosis. No one is telling me what is going on with me. I just started seeking help after I started getting panic attacks last year this time. Do you all know how long it takes to get diagnosed? Do they have to see what happens when you come off meds first before giving a diagnosis? I just want to know what is wrong with me.

Also, for practical reasons. I’m not sure I could handle a job right now. Luckily my husband makes money, but I would like a job of my own some time. I’m just not sure I can handle the people contact that I had with programming. I have a problem with crowds now, so having a meeting would be hard for me. I would have to get there first and sit in a corner. I am also worried about Jury duty. If I get called, I’m not sure I can handle the crowd of the court room or having people sit behind me. But how am I supposed to explain that to the judge?

I did look up what they were charging under to the insurance company and it said: major depressive disorder, severe with psychotic features, general anxiety disorder, and panic disorder.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s not clear cut and the symptoms should be present for a period of like 6 months. I think they do this to rule out temporary or things like drug induced psychosis. If you follow most folk around here their diagnosis does change over time. The more modern approach is treatment with the meds and labels aren’t as used as they used to.

Hang in there. It’ll play itself out! I moved from major depression to schizophreniform ( common dx early for sz) to paranoid schiz and if you believe my American doc…sz aff!

2 Likes

Thanks @rogueone I will try. I guess I just want to know what is wrong with me. I hate that I can’t go around crowds anymore. And why I have to wear ear plugs everywhere. At least I have fewer panic attacks and the depression is mostly gone.

I guess it will take some time to get a real diagnosis.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.