Why aren't meds for negative symptoms being made?

Or am I wrong–are there meds specifically designed to treat the negative symptoms of sz? I realize the positive symptoms are important to treat, but to us the negatives need treatment just as much.

6 Likes

They are. Min-101 is an antipsychotic in phase 3 that also treats negative symptoms.

2 Likes

Scientist doesnt know still what causes negative symptoms…yes everhopeful is right min 101 is for negative symptoms …but it has to pass phase 3 to reach to us …

1 Like

There aren’t any meds on the market that treat negatives right now but there is an experimental drug available called sarcosine that does! (You might have seen posts about it on this forum) I have been taking it for about 2 years now and it has nearly miraculously cured me of my negatives, if you have a problem with those I would highly recommend that you try it. It is totally harmless with no side effects, I take a product which is a combination of sarcosine and NAC (N-Acetyl-Cystine), they seem to have a synergistic effect together. I am still seeing improvements almost every day, some may even be permanent (there is some information that sarcosine can reverse schizophrenia-induced brain damage).

3 Likes

CBT has helped me against negative symptoms. I don’t know if it works for everyone. You’ve gotta find a good therapist, believe in each other, and in yourself, for CBT to be effective. That’s the secret. That doesn’t mean it’s a placebo effect. But it’s a psychological tool, not a psychiatric med.

3 Likes

Sarcosine is not a drug. It is a dietary supplement. There are a few drugs in development to treat negative symptoms. I’m having a hard time finding if the results are positive due to drug companies not releasing info on them. I know that drugs to treat negative symptoms in the past have failed. Keep in mind it costs a lot of money and risk to develope these drugs. Due to the fact that nobody has successfully developed a drug to treat negative symptoms it is a high risk for a drug company to try to developers one. There is a high possibility it will fail and therefore it will not go on the market. So if that happens the drug company will lose never recouping the money they invested in the drug in the first place. Drug companies tend to stick with developing drugs that block dopamine. Or treat positive symptoms due to the fact that it is a lower risk that they will fail in the first place.

2 Likes

some say use 5ht2a antagonism to pump dopamine into the pfc, and sigma2 antagonism to improve mood or cognition or whatever (maybe memory?)

i say, rule out cases of neuroleptic induced deficit syndrome and minimize or withdraw the offending medication if it is present. this will cur i predict at least 20% of those who have ben introduced to high doses of neuroleptics early on and who definitely have nids.

in fact some have nids and turn out to actually be bipolar or ocd or breif psychosis. a grave mistake in diagnosis.

1 Like