Who believes in the Recovery Model even for those of us with sz?

For the longest time I wasn’t sure if the Recovery Model applied to me as a survivor of sz. But after taking a training at RI International in 2015 I believe it is possible for us to recover and thrive. I’ve found love and a full time job with this perspective. What do you think? I’d appreciate some feedback and opinions!

3 Likes

What is the Recovery model? Is it just believing we can recover? Because I am mostly recovered too.

6 Likes

Well that’s inspiring as ■■■■! I like it!

1 Like

Sometimes I feel lonely because most people around me don’t seem to understand the struggle of recovering from serious mental illness. It is the most difficult thing I’ve attempted and people don’t see that. They don’t ask and they’re not interested. I don’t blame them but it gets a little lonely.

5 Likes

i dont even know what the recovery model is, i’d like to know what it is actually :slight_smile:

its ok i just spotted the blurb and i really like the sound of it, i think it is something that i have applied to my life and i am experiencing just now, so according to that i guess i am on my way to recovery lol, now all i need to do is become med free (which i am not planning on doing) at least not now and not without the doctors approval first.

HOPE and MEANING have been crucial in my ability to go from a state of schizophrenic chaos to a grad with a Master’s degree and some legitimate work experience in my field. I also make art and do martial arts, so I live a good life, even though I’m financially unstable.

I was told not to go to school at a young age—my hope evaporated. I defied those doctors and did it anyways. I found a supportive base comprised of a therapist, my mother, and a pdoc that did not try to deflate my hope.

Once hope starts to bloom, it blooms on its own. You just have to water it with motivation now and then. --Me

Meaning was what kept me going. HOPE got me to move, meaning kept me moving forward. I found my own meaning: to live a life that sought to establish equality for everyone–starting with myself. I went into everywhere initially feeling like I didn’t belong–until I gave it deep meaning. Now, I HAD to go to school, because I was part of a community of sz who were told they didn’t belong in school—I had a reason to go, to prove those people wrong.

The recovery movement has a really deep angle to it and it saved my life. I literally was planning out suicide in my 20’s because I had become a hysterical burden. I was given hope by my mom that one day the medicine would kick in, and when it actually happened, I saw my chance! Now, I’m down on my luck, but the recovery model still gives me hope and meaning, so I’m doing good. I really appreciate the recovery model!
:smiley:

2 Likes

Every last one of us should get a medal and wake up to a round of applause every morning. People have no idea what it takes to recover, the loneliness, the putting one foot in front of the other for months, years even. Taking meds blindly hoping that someday our minds will return. I get shunned sometimes by the strangest of people and I usually find that it’s the weak ones that are the first to ignore the struggle and put you down.

3 Likes

My episode was so freaking traumatic. When I was on the internet after it all I could do was search “schizophrenia recovery” and hope someday I would get better. And by the grace of god here I am feeling much better. The nebulous term “recovery” was my only hope for the longest time, now I can honestly say I’m in recovery.

2 Likes

I think I’m a few years older than you but your story sounds so much like mine. If you’re in your twentys don’t give up. I went through some real hard ■■■■ after I got sick. The worst part was being sick and parading around in front of people in a broken mind state. I lost friends, family got freaked out by me. My younger brothers never got to know me but to be afraid. I was just a pot smoking college student at the university of Vermont, had friends, got laid good student, Was popular. And I went to not being able to form a complete sentence. My affect was blunted. People called me a loser more times than I could count.
I’ve had some struggles since then but there have been times that I thanked my lucky stars that I didn’t end it. I can think pretty clearly now, have convos the meds get changed around. My love life got put on hold for a while but that came back too.
I really can relate to sitting in front of the computer though looking for a cure. I tried everything, volunteered for studies inquired about investigational drugs. My dads a doctor and it burns him that he can’t fix me. But he’s pretty confident that they’re gonna blow the doors off this illness someday soon.
I hope I don’t sound preachy but I just wanted to say that I get it. Glad to hear you’re in “recovery”

I believe in the Recovery Model for freakin’ everything.

BECAUSE IT WORKS.

3 Likes

What viable alternatives are there to the recovery model? Everyone would choose a complete cure but unfortunately we have to make do with the options that are presently available.

It’s strange how recovery works. It looks different for each person. You have to see it more as a personal journey which likely involves many ups and downs along the way. The key is to remind yourself that it will eventually wind up somewhere. Anywhere except those awful first months of illness. You reach the place sooner or later where you begin to feel more in control of your life.

Thanks for all the inspiring stories. It’s awesome to know that the future holds for us some incredible experiences. Way to go guys. Empowerment, self determination, self control and really just taking control of our own recoveries rcpissible with some good support. Rock on!

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of people waste huge chunks (or even ALL) of their lives waiting for the ‘perfect’ fix to come along for their symptoms. There is no perfect fix right now. Having SZ is like riding an older Harley bike that breaks down every so often. Bring the tools with you that fit in your bag and expect to break down and need a repair every so often. When that does happen – and it will – just enjoy the scenery where you are and take a moment to reflect on how far you’ve come. Don’t let the momentary pause get under your skin.

1 Like

I believe that full recovery can occur for a few and a degree of recovery for many others.
Ultimately I am not sure whether seeing it in terms of recovery is the best way to go.
I think the goal should be to progress along a path even though there may be detours on the route, and to hopefully do better tomorrow than you did today and better today than you did yesterday.

It’s good that quite a few here have come a good way along that path.After over 40 years I’ve given up hoping for full recovery. Maintaining my point on the path and not slipping back is about as good as it gets.

I am at a better point than I was 35 years ago. At that point I didn’t even have the shoes to make the journey.

1 Like

Everyone with SZ should do everything in their power to achieve a recovered state.

There are different ways of getting there.
Many times it’s a long and slow process, but recovering is possible.

2 Likes

as someone said recovery is associated with closing cases and cutting benefits at least in britain

I think cynical,antisocial politicians and overwhelmed mental health services inflate partial recovery . Partial recovery doesn’t mean you do not need help and support.

Im doing okay but im not fully recovered.
Some days i dread thinking about the way things turned out. Others im okay with it.

Pot is going to be legal next year in Canada.
I just wonder how many people will develop mental health problems like i did.

Loneliness and being chubby is a drag for sure.

2 Likes

I believe I can do it!

2 Likes