Where to retire to after Brexit?

I thought perhaps that I would have liked to live in Northern Spain, but due to Brexit freedom of movement has ended. The maximum time I could live there would be 3 months at a time.

What will Brits with plans of living abroad do now they have limited their options by voting for an insular, inward looking perspective of Brexit, and haven’t been able to move before the 31 December deadline?

1 Like

My country Norway, has never been in the EU. A lot of people have condos in spain though, but there are regulations like if you live more than half the year or maybe more than 3 months in a row you lose your pension or other benefits.

I heard some of the condos get taken over by poor families of spaniards and there are some weird laws in spain that prevents the police from evicting them from the condo even though it doesen’t belong to them. People get caught up in the legal system trying to get back what is rightfully theirs.

2 Likes

Where do Norwegians tend to emigrate to then usually, if not Europe then? :slight_smile:

Your choices are limited to Ireland as there’s a free travel agreement between Ireland and the UK which hasn’t been affected by brexit.

1 Like

Phew the choices… A country with exactly the same miserable weather as this one. :smiley:

Why on earth would people vote to limit their ability to travel, work, live and study throughout Europe is beyond me?

I suppose if you attach a union jack to any movement you get the patriots voting for it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I hate brexit with a vengeance, but I’m confident bilateral agreements with other European countries will take some of the edge off things.

1 Like

I think Spain still is the main country despite the problems. Other than that I don’t know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.