What's stopping us from using CRISPR to gene edit humans to fight disease? |

3 Likes

i already don’t like being on medicine even though it helps. I’d rather not tamper with nature any more than i have to.

1 Like

There are a lot of variables. Some unknowns. Taking these factors lightly can have devistating consequences.

1 Like

Seen Jurassic Park?

That’s why.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I fully support use of genetic engineering, and I think it will be gradually put in practice.
I think it will take some time, but eventually, yes.
Thank you for posting, @twinklestars

1 Like

I understand that genetic engineering could be used to treat children, but how would it possible to treat already adult people. Somehow I think it is impossible, but I may be wrong.

1 Like

They may use crispr to treat sz… but it takes time… i am waiting

sz is a brain illness, somehow I would find it difficult to change genes already developed in an adult’s brain, but again I do not understand what this CRISPR really is.

1 Like

Same here mjseu crispr is in testing phase…!!! They will have to examin a lot in mouse or rodent model… if it is successful it comes to human…!!!

May be soon…!!!

@shutterbug are you saying I have the opportunity to live life as a raptor-person? Sign me the heck up please :joy:

According to the article, (or maybe another article recently posted) there have been about 30 studies in adult mice with brain disorders, and genetic therapy worked. I’ve read a few, not 30, but 3 or 4.

They use a vector to introduce the corrected gene into brain tissue. A virus designed for the purpose, for instance. But there has been some recent news as well on using nanotech as a delivery system.

Some of the genes code for proteins, so that’s an obvious way a corrected gene could help even in an adult brain. But also, genes are the instruction manual that tells the brain, and everything else, how and when to develop. So if that can be restarted, that’s another way it could help.

Even without gene therapy, adult brains are capable of rewiring around damaged areas (usually with theraputic support) so it’s not unthinkable.

The work towards gene therapy for Parkinson’s is further along, I think you might see that curing Parkinson’s within 5-7 years.

2 Likes

Yeah we don’t want to all become a bunch of genetically engineered kill machines.

“Clever girl!” :wink:

I’d actually be okay with that part of it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes