What is "thinking" or a "thought"

The character of thoughts bothers me, especially when I have audible/intrusive thoughts.

1. A silent, inner language it is almost impossible to translate.

2. Apart from my body the only thing that separates me from others (you can share an idea but not a thought)

3. I don’t know or care, i just do it.

1 Like

Well, you can always ask Wikipedia, but i don’t think the answer is good, especially the thing about logical conclusions:

Thought (or thinking ) encompasses a flow of ideas and associations that can lead to logical conclusions. Although thinking is an activity of an existential value for humans, there is still no consensus as to how it is adequately defined or understood.

A thought would be an electrochemical reaction in your brain.

1 Like

Yes i guess so, but it does not say so much about how thoughts are, just where they come from.

I once asked a friend a similar question: What is consciousness? And he answered:

"Consciousness is the content of my flow of thoughts in the moment. "

The thought is using past experiences to solve a present or future problem.

-S

1 Like

True, its definitely got something to do with time, and the past, the way you create your own personal narrative.

But thoughts are much more than solving problems. Sometimes it is just an image? Wordless thoughts with no purpose

Well i might be rambling.

1 Like

all your senses working.

I need to touch Phil, and the dogs often.

otherwise I’m floating. nothing solid.

1 Like

That’s a good definition, i like that

1 Like

What are all these people getting paid to work out!?!?!?!?

1 Like

It might be because it’s one of those questions without an answer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.