What is the hospital/psych ward really like?

the ward is like here, we are all mad yokes (in a cool way)

2 Likes

It was kinda scary. The food was very good. Some of the nurses were beautiful and friendly.
My pdoc was weird and wouldnā€™t tell me much of anything. And the worst part was they charged me $430 usd a week and I was there for 3 weeks.

1 Like

it might not be that bad if you donā€™t get left in there that long. I was left in the state hospital for months. Kinda like being in jail. They take away your rights you canā€™t go anywhere.

2 Likes

INCREDIBLY boring. No music, no TV, no coffee, no internet. I paced the ward for 12+ hours a day. Some people would just sleep all day, but I canā€™t do that. I hope I never have to go back.

2 Likes

Scary. Thereā€™s always someone who is violent and starting fist fights and screaming. You have to steer clear of them and sometimes even when people arenā€™t engaging with them they pick people to pick on. The staff is always uncaring, rude and mean. I hate the hospital.

2 Likes

I thought it was scary all times Iā€™ve been in I was scared.

When I stopped being scared I was able to find tiny joys like eating and going out for coffee sometimes , going on my computer out in court yard, getting visited.

I had one chic throw water in my face for sitting in her seat or where she usually sits.

A guy n nurse got in a punch fight and another nurse pushed me out of danger.

I met one of my x boyfriends in psych ward in Sweden.
He took me for bike rides etc and was so good to me.
I dressed in a stripper nurse outfit under my dressing gown on his birthday and snuck to his room and showed him then he was unresponsive I got shy and ran back to my room.
I had the outfit because I used to be a bad stripper.

1 Like

My roommate was in love with me and wrote me a love letter in his own blood. I showed it to the nurses and they moved his bed to another room, resulting in me having a private room.

2 Likes

Depends on what hospital I was in.

My first two hospital stays were in private clinics. They were awesome - like hotels with pills. Lots of activities and good food. Was hard to leave.

The state hospital had less appeal. The therapy wards were nice though as there was activities scheduled and it was open wards.

But the locked wards were scary as there were weird ladies there. And it was so mind numbingly boring! No activities at all.

But although I was scared I felt like I was in a safe place being looked after. And there were female security guards and nurses to deal with the weirdos.

1 Like

The one hospital I went was super boring and got worse each time. The second o e was a little better with more books and lots of activities and groups.

1 Like

I was in 2 hospitals in 2 different states 3 times. Terrifying the whole time, a lot of people that were not there from a psych episode would mess with me and feed my delusions.

1 Like

it was all really boring. some guy is always watching the most mind numbing stuff on the tv. they had community meetings and groups i would rarely participate in. the best part was the snacks.

for some reason im a magnet for mentally ill people, so they always approach me and try to start bizarre conversations, or write me letters. even though i stuck to my room, and only came out for meals most of the time. and then when youā€™re so bored from sitting, doing nothing all day, i start to pace the grounds, and get forcibly medicated for not sitting still. no desire to go back. but some hospitals were better than others. other times, i want to be looked up in a facility for life, when i get depressed, so i dont have to deal with life.

if i could have my own room, and internet time, could workout, got a little outdoor time, and watch sports on tv, i would seriously consider being institutionalized for lifeā€¦

one guy was even calling me jesus, because i used to have long hair.

1 Like

listen to audible book ā€œVoluntary Madnessā€

She faked stuff to get put in various psych wards and critiques them.

Several of my friends thought the experience was unpleasant but that they were better off that they were taken in involuntarily and that they had to admit that they had issues and needed to deal with them.

1 Like

State hospital was terrible but private mental hospital was good

2 Likes

My first psyche ward was like a country club. It was clean and new and nice. I felt pretty safe. A couple of the other patients worried me but I felt safe for the most part. It was near the hills in an incorporated area. A couple years later I was in a couple hospitals that were not nice.

But my first one almost everybody was friendly including staff. We had a ping-pong table, a pool table, a volleyball court, a gym. A counselor took me jogging in the hills. They brought a group of us to a nearby park and we formed two teams and played kickball. I played chess with a staff member. If I hadnā€™t got psychotic it would have been like a vacation, lol.

Even with all that stuff it was a little boring but every hospital after that was a lot more boring.

1 Like

First time I thought they were gonna kill me in the ward. But when the meds kicked in itā€™s mostly boring there.

I was not hospitalizedā€¦
but just once warned that, if I donā€™t take my meds I may have to goā€¦

Do all hospitals have a intense care unit? My first stay I was put into their ā€œcriticalā€ or ā€œcrisisā€ unit, I think it was called, my second time I was moved around to different sectors a couple times. Both had flight risk signs posted everywhere. Also no internet, no leaving our sector and they would turn the phone off on me.

Boring. Canā€™t watch sports since so many donā€™t like sports.
Food is pretty good.
Constantly have people begging for cigarettes.
Lonely without my kids.
Canā€™t use phone except off grounds and once a day.

1 Like

7 hospital stays, twice at the same place, so 6 different hospitals. The thing that was most consistent was the food. The food was good. It was nice to have balanced meals at regular intervals throughout the day.

Another thing that was pretty consistent was the use of benzos. They gave me a lot of Ativan. One hospital gave me so much I can barely remember being in there.

Some of the hospitals had regular groups to attend. Some of the hospitals you just stayed in bed. Some of the hospitals had day rooms where you could go to watch tv or draw or read a book.

All hospitals had a pdoc, most had a therapist or psychologist. There are a ton of nurses.

The other patients can cause problems when they have symptoms by having outbursts and tantrums.

2 Likes

If you cooperate with the nurses/doctors, itā€™s more boring than frightening.
I didnā€™t cooperate with the nurses sometimes and thatā€™s why I got restrained.