What is the best med for positive symptoms of schizophrenia?

Hi you guys,
I know im not delusional, but im not going to get into that. But anyway, just in case i am delusional, what are the best meds for the positive symptoms of schizophrenia? What med really takes away the delusion and hallucinations?

1 Like

It is different for each person. You have to try the different medications to determine what works for you.

4 Likes

I feel like that all day every day. BUT - I am told by EVERYONE that I am delusional. I’m glad you’re considering finding meds that help just in case. That’s what I’m doing. I see my pdoc in a few days. Im going to get my dose increased just in case. Do that. Try higher doses. Try different meds. Take them every day and on time. What if you and I are wrong?! What if it’s not happening?! I swear it is. But I’ll tell you this: if popping a pill everyday makes my suffering end I’m in! All the way!!!

1 Like

Ive been taking olanzapine constantly for 5 years and i still believe theres something implanted in me. For you @CoCo you have nothing to worry about, I assure you. Maybe i need to change my meds who knows, i am tired of the suffering. But my meds so far hasnt taken the suffering away. Im suffering.

1 Like

Well aripoprazole worked well for me until it didn’t.

Now I’m not in any medication. Except chlorella.

I’m not saying this would suit you.

It’s a process of trial and error really.

But be patient. Don’t just drop the medication in question too soon. You have to give it a chance to start working. Like 6 weeks.

Good luck :hugs:

1 Like

I feel the same about you.

1 Like

Talk to your doctor about Clozapine

3 Likes

I agree @anon36467691 . Ask about it. I did. Unfortunately I’m not a good candidate for it, but it might be ok for you. What if taking clozapine takes away your paranoia?! Can you imagine what a relief that would be?

2 Likes

Yes im going to have to try a different med and give it at least 6 weeks to work. I hope i find the right med because im tired of suffering.

2 Likes

I would try clozapine but im already overweight and have high blood pressure. I was pre-diabetic but after quitting depakote i lost the extra 40 pounds i gained from it. So i dont want any other medicine that would make me too overweight. Id rather have my mental health in order but the other aspects of my health are important too.

What about abilify?

Different AP’s are better for different people, as has already been stated, but if you are looking for a more weight neutral AP, I got slothy and lethargic on invega and gained weight. I lost some weight and then stabilized on Aripiprazole(Abilify). I’m still struggling to lose the weight gained while on Invega but I am no longer gaining and think it’s possible to lose with Aripiprazole.

That being said, this is all something that should be discussed with pdoc. If they give you a choice though, there are more weight neutral AP’s like this.

1 Like

Diet and exercise can make a big difference in how much weight you gain. What about working with a dietitian and exercising 4-5 times per week?

Tomorrow I’m going back to my strict diet plan that helped me lose 100 pounds in a year. I have abdominal pain too severe to jog anymore, and as a result, I gained 20 pounds. But I’m getting exploratory surgery to correct that so I can jog again. Diet and exercise are worth doing to have peace of mind.

1 Like

I’m on Geodon and it has been weight neutral for me. I have a normal bmi. Caplyta is supposed to be good for weight too. I think if I changed APs I’d go on Caplyta.

2 Likes

Then why are you here?

1 Like

I would say Clozapine. :bug::bug::bug:

1 Like

It’s different for everyone some people get great results on a certain medication than another person. Side effects vary person to person as well.

2 Likes

Exercise honestly. If I get a good walk in my paranoia goes away for the rest of the day.

1 Like

Sorry you guys I couldn’t reply back right away because this is a new account.@Bowens I think i want to try abilify. Im going to go for a weight neautral ap but i hope it really helps my mental health. Im tired of being delusional. @CoCo I want to exercise but i have no motivation to do so. I know it is so important but im thinking about trying abilify. What ap do you take?

1 Like

I will ask my doctor about that.