What is the best book to read about schizophrenia?

What is the best and please most simple book to read about schizophrenia? I’m new to accepting my diagnosis but I’ve been on the meds for around three years. Just not been social on here as I’ve been in denial. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

my book is about the delusional process of beliefs I went through in about a year’s time off meds…pm me if you want the title…

1 Like

I found “Schizophrenia for Dummies” to be very plain and simple and informative about many aspects of schizophrenia. It explains such varied subjects as medications, negative and positive symptoms, prognosis, sudden onset, history of schizophrenia, treatment, hospitals, etc. An easy read that covers a lot of ground. I really got into reading books about schizophrenia several years ago and this is one of the best.

4 Likes

@jukebox i think your book would scare me into psychosis. I’d be out of control without the jabs and pills as horrid as they are. If I ever decide to come off meds I will ask you more about it thank you.

1 Like

@77nick77 thank you for your recommendation. Although it may be simple for you to read it sounds too complicated for my head to rap around at the moment. The zotepine keeps everything quite foggy I’m sorry to say. I’m also looking for a good book for my wife to read about what I’m going through. English isn’t her native language so keeping it simple is best. I’ve found surviving schizophrenia on kindle to be an easy read and somewhere they have a copy in my wife’s language too. I need baby steps as it’s all so new after accepting my diagnosis.

1 Like

It’s really easy to understand but I see your point.

1 Like

I think the title I want to recommend is Diagnosis: Schizophrenia. I remember it’s only around 200 pages. Great book though, very easy to understand.

3 Likes

As far as free Kindle books go, I thought this one was pretty good:

“Understanding Schizophrenia: Signs and Symptoms” by National Institute of Mental Health, Sarah Erickson.

Start reading it for free: https://a.co/39fg04d

Sometimes you can get free ebooks on Kindle Prime reading too. I would avoid E. Fuller Torreys “Surviving Schizophrenia” though for now since it comes across as being a bit too pessimistic. It scared me a lot when I read it soon after I was diagnosed twenty years ago but fortunately I was able to get a lot of help and make a lot of environmental and lifestyle changes in my life and of course get decent meds.

2 Likes

I own “Surviving Schizophrenia” seventh edition for myself, and “I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help” for learning how to talk to my delusional brother.

2 Likes

@Montezuma thank you. It’s on kindle too. I will get around to reading that.

1 Like

@keepsimple thanks for the heads up. I could have been led off easily without prior knowledge. I appreciate all you fine fellows helping in my search.

1 Like

@agent101g which did you find better as an introduction to it? Thanks.

1 Like

I think Surviving Schizophrenia is the better of the two. If I was to recommend a book on sz it would be that one.

2 Likes

I agree with “Surviving Schizophrenia” as the best book on Sz. It can be a little dry at times but it is very informative.

2 Likes

You welcome! :slight_smile: it’s a great book for the newly diagnosed. Remember you’re not alone.

1 Like

I read in french “I morgen var jeg alltid en løve” – “tomorrow I was crazy.” (yeah I know, but it’s the real tittle.)
It’s about a schizophrenic woman who has become psychologist, it’s a deep dive into a schizophrenic mind.

1 Like

Me as well. It’s a good read.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.