Video game calms schizophrenia patients

and

Video game trains people with schizophrenia to block verbal hallucinations

A small study recently published in Translational Psychiatry showed that people living with schizophrenia could use a video game paired with an MRI scanner to curb verbal hallucinations.

Specifically, researchers at King’s College London’s Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Neuroscience found that after the training people with schizophrenia were able to better control the verbal region in their brain linked to the hallucinations.

“We encouraged our patients to use the same control strategies that they learnt in the MRI scanner at home,” Natasza Olov, lead researcher, said in a statement. “The patients know when the voices are about to start — they can feel it, so we want them to immediately put this aid into effect to lessen them, or stop the voices completely. Our study has shown that people with schizophrenia can learn some sort of mental strategy to help their symptoms — something which several years of medication has not helped with.”

10 Likes

I want to buy gaming laptop or gaming desktop…!!!

1 Like

“People with the condition are known to have a more active auditory cortex, which means they are more sensitive to sounds and voices.”

Is this like a general thing with sz? Because I’ve been this way since I was little. Anyone else?

7 Likes

Do a poll in the diagnosed forum.

That’s pretty awesome.

It’s neurofeedback basically.

1 Like

its probably because of the distraction of it that calms them.

I want to try it!

This is true. Since video games have reward systems, this enables players to keep on playing and staying focused. Once you concentrate for a good hour or so, you become calm. Read it somewhere in a article I don’t remember.

1 Like

I know I use videogames as a coping mechanism for everything so this doesn’t surprise me.

I’m super sensitive to random sounds like I hate the sound of running water from the sink it really irritates me, I also really hate hearing myself and other people chew when it’s really quiet. That’s just to name a couple of sounds…

2 Likes

Im very sensitive to all kinds of noises especially chewing, sudden loud noises, and sqeaky door hinges. I end up having panic attacks because of it a lot of times.

2 Likes

How am I supposed to know?

1 Like

https://www.allergictosound.com/articles/do-you-have-misophonia-take-the-test/

https://misophoniainstitute.org/misophonia-test-do-you-have-misophonia/

1 Like

Well I certainly have it. Also highly sensitive.

Well, when trucks drive past me I can’t think because I’m stressed out of my mind and it instantly makes me angry. I get this stressed/angry feeling from all loud noises, like someone putting the dishes away, someone screaming or talking very loudly, the volume on the TV being a little too loud. Like general noises that no one else seems to be bothered by. It makes it very difficult to think and makes me miserable from the stress. I need time to calm down after a series of loud noises.

2 Likes

Same here. Quiet noises do it to me, too, sometimes - the sound of electricity in the walls, the sound of people typing. I have to use a white noise generator at home.

1 Like

Some quiet noises do it to me too, but it’s mostly the loud ones.

1 Like

I want to land the spaceship

2 Likes

For me its intermittent random, repetitive noises . Bang bang bang with a hammer,buzz buzz buzz with a drill. Stops for a little while starts up again and again and again… :scream_cat:

1 Like

A car alarm goes off almost daily here and it drives me nuts. The neighbor’s music will set me off so I play my music over hers. This has been going on since I was a kid but there was a time when I thought I had control over it. My step brother would fall asleep and make this stupid sound and I would be pissed off.

2 Likes