Uneducated

I get so frustrated trying to talk to anyone about my illness because they don’t understand it at all. My parents don’t even take time to learn about it. I try to tell people what it’s like but nothing. They also think medicine makes you normal

4 Likes

That really sucks! People suck sometimes. I deal with that with my ADD. My mom and brother would much rather think I’m lazy even though I have a book explaining exactly what ADD people have challenges with. But NOPE…they’d rather stay ignorant!!

2 Likes

Well, my medication does make me feel normal. As normal as any guy walking down the street.

Most people definitely do not understand what schizophrenia is though.

2 Likes

My family has always been the same way. They want to know nothing about sza. First of all, they don’t believe in sza. They think sz/sza are really demon possession. Second of all, they don’t think I have it. They think I am perfectly normal and don’t suffer from anything that they themselves don’t suffer with. If I tell them a given symptom of mine, they just say, “Oh that’s nothing, I get that too”, or “Jesus conquers that for me”.

2 Likes

So similar to mine. My mother tells me to rebuke the evil hallucinations in Jesus’ name. I’ve tried to explain it’s an illness but she doesn’t get it. I also get the lazy I’m making it up thing too.

My parents are not educated well too, but fortunately they know what sz is. My pdoc explained them it is a matter of levels of dopamine. However they still don’t know much about mental illness. They think I’m lazy and mental illness or personality could be overcome depending on your willingness. I just cheer myself up with thinking that schizophrenics are more intelligent than others and people don’t understand us.

2 Likes

@SkinnyMe @wanderingunicorn

I believe there are two different illnesses/scenarios that can have very similar symptoms. One is the true illness of SZ/SZA and one is spiritual in origin. I believe without a doubt that mine is spiritual in origin because my first symptom/hallucination happened just a few hours after doing something I shouldn’t have and I didn’t realize it was actually an occult practice…(a seance). But having physical disturbances in our house with stuff moving on its own helps to reinforce that theory. But I don’t believe that is the origin for everyone, as the majority it is a real sickness. But for those who dabbled in the occult at one point, I don’t think it can be totally ruled out based on my own experience.

I have explained positive and negative symptoms, types of delusions etc. to my parents, but they forget them. lol

We are all entitled to beliefs of our own. Stressors trigger schizophrenia. Actually, a sign of schizophrenia is obsession with religion or the occult. It doesn’t happen first but Is part of it. I do believe however that growing up or being exposed to religion makes you more susceptible to those symptoms.

We certainly are more intelligent! If you say your diabetic people accept that. Schizophrenia is just like diabetes but with a different chemical. I’ve been taking Clozaril for over twelve years and things just keep getting better. I only see the Psychiatrist twice a year and she is great! Lost the best years of my life to Schizophrenia. I was on Sulpiride at University and had horrendous mood swings. A Doctor tried putting me on Risperidone and that was absolute hell! Kept having fits and seizures. I would say to anyone with Schizophrenia that Clozaril is worth the blood tests and hassle for the benefits. I stopped drinking alcohol on new years day and feel even better! Alcohol and Clozaril don’t really mix that well. The other thing with Clozaril is to have a routine. I take Clozaril at night (450mg) and I fall asleep easily within an hour of taking my evening dose. I try to get up at a fairly reasonable hour and volunteer in a charity shop on a Thursday afternoon. This gives me something to focus on and is for a good cause. My morning Clozaril dose is 150mg. I also take Pirenzipine for night time drooling, Atenolol for blood pressure and Citalopram for depression. This formula works really well for me! There’s a lot of nonsense on the Internet that Psychiatry is all a big con. I totally disagree! I didn’t wake up one day and say I want to spend time in a Psychiatric Hospital and be rejected by people who don’t and never will understand what Schizophrenia and Psychosis is. I think we are all heroes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.