The Schiz closet

Are you “in the closet” about your schizophrenia or are you “out”. I’m gay, (came out at 14) and recently came out to my friends as schizophrenic, feels like coming out as gay all over again haha.

I feel like its super important to be out. It’s helps fight stigma and helps people understand. I feel like I educate a lot of people about schizophrenia

17 Likes

I’m somewhat out some friends and some Co workers know. Wish I was all out but I’m slowly working on it. Which was harder coming out?

A few people know, but I’m mostly in the closet about the whole thing.

Took me longer to come out as schiz. Coming out gay went okay, only a few people had some tough questions for me.

But first I had to accept that I was schizophrenic, and fully understand it before I came out to everyone. I had to weigh the pros aND cons of coming out aND embracing schizophrenia. There’s a lot of stigma towards it and I’m sure it was an off putting discovery to some people. But most people showed me a lot of love and said it took a lot of courage to come out.

But there are still some people that will make fun of it. Or a few of my “friends” don’t believe I realllyyyy have the illness. But it’s because of the stigma. Since I’m not pacing around talking to voices (anymore) I can’t be schizophrenic

5 Likes

Everyone that needs to know, knows already.
Who am I going to tell?
Neighbors? Store Clerks?

I don’t have friends to tell, but my old friends knew about my previous bipolar diagnosis.

I am now diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder.

2 Likes

Haha yeah I understand not everyone needs to know. Like I don’t run around telling everyone I’m gay. And I guess I haven’t told all my coworkers know…I kinda bring it up when it’s appropriate. I never lead with schizophrenia but I like to have it brought up if the moments right.

1 Like

Everyone that needs to know (as has been stated) knows I am MI. They all know I am delusional and that I don’t believe this is the ‘real’ world. They accept me and accept that I have some unusual beliefs. I have Delusional Disorder.

The LGBTQ community has a national coming out day on October 11 of each year, so maybe a national coming out day for schizophrenia would be helpful. @Bdon

3 Likes

I think that would be super helpful!

1 Like

@Bdon

Having support usually makes the difference between coming out or not.

1 Like

It’s a great idea but I doubt they would ever do it. There are a lot more gay people than there are people with SZ

That’s very interesting. What separates delusional disorder from schizophrenia? I’ve always been very delusional so some days I wonder if I simply just have delusional disorder but then I think back to all the hallucinations during my first psychotic break.

I was first dx with Bipolar, then I was dx with SZ and then after several months of therapy and appointments, I was finally dx with Delusional Disorder. I am not a pdoc but some of the reasons that were explained to me were that I have no negative symptoms, no auditory or visual hallucinations and not even a variety of delusions. Instead, I have one elaborate, chronic delusion. I also have late onset (46) and sudden onset. It came out of nowhere. I have paranoia and I have had psychotic episodes but they are directly related to my one delusion. My MI revolves around one giant delusion. That’s basically it.

3 Likes

my group of friends ditched me 16 years ago when I got psychotic.
If I couldn’t drink and do coke anymore what good was I?
Ive made friends since but can’t keep a relationship going due to depression and lack of giving a ■■■■ anymore

1 Like

I am curious @Bdon was coming out about being gay a little easier than coming out about schizophrenia?

Sorry if that’s a dumb question, but I am just curious.

I am an artist, so I sort of wear my heart on my sleeve. A lot of people that I converse with and socialize with from day to day know I have sz.

I really regret being so open about it though. The stigma and harassment I’ve received in the past from neighbors, thugs, and other weirder types has been horrible.

Take care :v:

2 Likes

It was a lot easier! Coming out as schiz took a lot of courage for me

1 Like

Thank you! I learned a lot

1 Like

Wow. It sounds like you have a lot of courage.

I am often confused about my own sexuality. I went through some bad stuff growing up – mental and physical abuse. A lot of that has caused me to question my heterosexuality.

Take care :v:

1 Like

I feel like they aren’t that similar, in that I think sz is more like an std, it’s a medical condition and you tell the people that it might affect.

Edit: I’m not comparing as to an std in any way other than the way I said. I personally just don’t feel the need to tell people about any personal issues, ie. my history with addiction, alcoholism, etc.

2 Likes

i dont really associate my identity with it so i feel no reason to tell the world, i do share about it if someone else talks to me about there mental health struggles though, just to show they are not alone in the struggle

3 Likes