The placenta may play a role in the genetic risk for SZ

The placenta may play a role in the genetic risk of schizophrenia (freethink.com)

“Over 100 genes linked to increased risk of schizophrenia appear to cause illness through the roles they play in the placenta, rather than in brain development directly, according to a team at Johns Hopkins’ Lieber Institute for Brain Development (LIBD) and the Icahn School of Medicine.”

“Schizophrenia is estimated to affect 1% of the world’s population, and men are more likely to develop it, with onset generally occurring late in childhood or in early adulthood. It is also significantly heritable, the researchers note, with a heritability of about 50-80%.”

etc.

3 Likes

Epigenetics!

The hosts environmental and experience turning genes off and on via the placenta to the unborn child, perhaps.

Wow. This is a fascinating piece of research

1 Like

I don’t have to tell you anything… :smiley:

What you are implying in your question is a philosphical one.

Where does consciousness come from? what is it? Can they pinpoint consciousness in the brain?

Why does one person hallucinate things and there not be a universal hallucnation at the same time?

This is what science tries to do and it came up with the label ‘schizophrenia’ in the meantime.

I am not a scientist and can neither prove or disprove much. I don’t claim to.

What the science in the link above tries to do is use tests and correlation to apply some theory.

You don’t like it. What are your theories?

my schizophrenia is definitely genetic as my mom already have schizophrenia.

1 Like