The cost of living is killing me

My income increased 10 bucks a month so the state cut my food stamps down from 140 too 70 bucks. Come on people I’m dieing here. How in the hell do you think I’m going to make up the difference in food. After bills I’m in the hole every month. Come on people I’m dieting here. Every thing is too high. Food. Clothing rent. Everything.

1 Like

The scand letter. Was my tax papers from SS I made a hole 6,657.00. Come on people this is giving me a mental problems.

My w2 letter was a hole 5.56 buck with held for the year. Come on people it killing me.

Any food closets near you? This ain’t going to make up for a $70.00 loss but buying food in bulk (if you have the room) is a way to save money.

If you food shop smart you can save money. Buying stuff like dry pinto beans and downloading recipes to cook them. With a few simple ingredients you can turn a one pound bag of beans into a side dish that you can eat off for a week.

Shop sales. Find food you like on sale and stock up. Eat the basics: rice, pasta, beans. This might only make your food money last just a little bit longer but I remember being so broke that even being able to buy a can of peaches was a huge treat. I remember being so broke that I was stuck 5 miles from home and I could only afford 23 cents for gas and prayed I would make it home.

I remember having extra money and buying a bunch of brand new Beatles records and then being so broke a month later having to sell them for a few bucks just to eat. So every little bit of money counts.

Yeah, when you shop, buy the store brands of food. They are usually just as good as name brand food. When you buy stuff like name brand peanut butter, tuna, chili, butter, jelly, etc, the store brand is just as good, if you buy popular brands a lot of times you are just paying for the label.

Consider freezing food. If you see fresh produce on sale sometimes you can buy a bunch and freeze it for later. Stuff like carrots, strawberries, oranges, etc. IDK, Wouldn’t it help if you saved even twenty bucks a month off your usual grocery’s bill?

13 Likes

I hear you brother…we don’t have cash the last week before pay day…they cut my food stamps too…

Our food stamps were cut frm $356 to $298 for 7 people because I got a job of 5 hours a week. I feel for you @DrZen

That’s the only advice I can give.

Also don’t be too proud to ask family for help.

I’m so sorry, it’s just not right. They shouldn’t have dropped it so low. There’s something wrong there. Maybe they typed your income in wrong??? I would call and ask to talk to a supervisor and make sure the worker put it in right. Cutting your benefits in half for a lousy $10 raise seems way off to me.

3 Likes

I agree with leaf, try reaching out and seeing if there is anything you can do.

I’m sorry you are in that situation.

There are multiple food banks in my area. Are there any in yours? Food banks can be a huge help

1 Like

I agree with pianogal!
People manage to live off of food banks

1 Like

@DrZen @anon4362788 @jukebox @CoCo @everhopeful @brandotron @77nick77, This thread has so moved me to the point where I just had to donate monetary funds to my local food bank, on a monthly basis, from now on. I just got done doing that.

6 Likes

That’s awesome @SkinnyMe!!!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.