Tell the normies?

i started work today as a gardener and while it is physically demanding work the most difficult thing for me was meeting my co workers and doing my best to perform socially, act normal…and i was still awkward at times! i now have a sore head and jaw (from the clenching) after experiencing social anxiety all day. have you ever considered telling normies about your schizophrenia so that they will maybe understand your poor social skills a little better?

new to the site and first time creating a thread :slight_smile:

10 Likes

A good piece of advice I saw on this forum was “never lead with your illness”. So maybe let them get to know you before you tell them.

6 Likes

i hate that damned stigma attached to sz. but thank you, both good points. i just wish it was easier. i suppose with time they will get to know my personality which will take the strain off somehwhat

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t I remember telling my mother the Dr dx me sz. I would try to talk to her about my feelings and she would say dumb things like what if you hurt me one day.I just looked at her smh and didn’t speak to her for a long time.Most people are caught in the stigma media present sz as if it’s almost evil.i would love to have a normie switch brains with me for a day .gaurantee they couldn’t handle it.

1 Like

I have told almost everybody I know about my schizophrenia. But I always wait until they’ve gotten to know me for a little bit, so they can see I’m not dangerous. Especially at work, I like to wait a few weeks. Once they see that I’m a fantastic and reliable worker, then I tell them. I worry that if I told them too early, I would get fired because of the stigma.

1 Like

I tell people I’m socially awkward, and if I offend them in some way I probably don’t mean to, so to please let me know if there’s some issue. I don’t say “Hi, my name is _______ and I’m socially awkward” though, I usually wait til I’ve at least talked to them a few times. I tell them when I feel like there is an awkward pause or if I think I might have done something weird.

People are usually good about it. Lots of people feel that way apparently.

I have noticed that I have a bad case of resting b*tch face, so if I realize I’ve been scowling in someone’s direction, I will tell them I was not looking at them I was thinking of something else.

The people I live with are all over the age of 70 and up into their 80’s, 90’s and 100’s. I’m afraid that they will have too much stigma against MI for me to tell them about my sza. So, I keep totally silent about my sza around them. The only people who know around here are the director of the establishment and the nurse.

I have started telling my managers right away. I wait a little while to tell the team. It’s good to be put about your illness. It helps people understand and fights the stigma. I’ve had the opportunity to educate a lot of people about schiz and change their perspective on it.

This is bad but Im considering telling my Mom so shell freak and move out because I cant handle being around her all day

1 Like

I disclose too often and I have paid for it dearly. I say buy a grind guard and shove it between your chompers claiming a jaw issue since you really are clenching already. That way, you can’t talk well and that will be fine, Otherwise, headphones send a powerful message to most folks.

2 Likes

I would be cautious about being too quick to tell people. As @everhopeful said, don’t lead with your illness. Let them get to know you for a while. My superiors at both jobs know about my sza, but that’s because it has been necessary to tell them. A few of my coworkers at one of the jobs know about it, too, and they’re still cool toward me. They knew me for over a year before I told them about it. You never know how people will react, though, such a stigma attached to severe MI like this. Last fall I came out about my illness to my fb friends, and I received a supportive response, but I have only close friends and relatives on my fb.

Sherriff, your profile picture is very similar to mine.
so for a second, I thought someone hacked my profile and made this thread.
lol lol lol :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I wouldn’t lead with my illness. I echo everyone else that they should get to know you first, for both of your benefit.

I empathize with the clenched jaw. When I have anxiety, that is the first thing that happens. When I have a full on panic attack, my teeth, jaw and neck get so tight I start shaking noticeably. It’s horrible. I have a history of bad panic attacks.

@sirBoring i like how yours has grown an afro, much cooler. mine needs updating i think.

@47average i also have had panic attacks mainly when i was in full psychosis and thought people were out to get me and my family. the whole experience is a nightmare.

i worked again today and it was a little better…i think i will wait a while before i tell them if i tell them. something really needs to be done about the stigma though, the media can’t make us hide in shame our whole sz lives. i think thats a big reason behind social withdrawal within sz dx people. but what can we do…

1 Like

Hate being a Negative Nancy,

But I just wouldn’t tell them at all.

So what if you’re a little strange socially, lots of people are.

Frankly, that is deeply personal and absolutely no one’s business.

You don’t need to excuse your behavior.

Just do your thing, people just don’t really care, and the misunderstandings about your diagnosis is a breeding ground for hurtful gossip.

Maybe I’m projecting, my experiences with telling anyone about my illness have been almost exclusively bad.

I guess, do what feels right?

Just don’t expect validation or understanding,

1 Like