Teen marijuana use may lead to bipolar symptoms later on

More bad news for young people using marijuana:

It’s a well-known fact that many young people use cannabis, and studies have pointed to a link between the drug and psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia. However, the links between cannabis use and the development of bipolar symptoms over time have been insufficiently studied — until now.

The use of cannabis, more popularly known as marijuana, among teens may have dire consequences on their mental health in later years.

A new study fills this research gap by examining how cannabis use among teenagers is linked with hypomania in early adulthood.

The research was led by Dr. Steven Marwaha, a clinical academic psychiatrist from the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, and the findings were published in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin.

FUll story:

If I only knew all this back then, things might be different now.

Good thing I was mentally ill before I started smoking weed as a teen for relief. I would feel the worst if somehow I affected my own mental health by doing something that I thought helped me.

I believe if we unscheduled marijuana at the federal level it would open up the flood Gates of new information on how it can help treat disorders like schizophrenia and bipolar. I luckily at least live in a state where it’s legal and looked at from a medical and recreational stand point and the taxes we receive as a state are worth it just for that fact

I first started hearing voices when I used Marijuana as a teen. I stopped later on because every time I would smoke, it would trigger the voices. Not the drug for me. I wish I never touched the stuff.

The title of that article should be “Teen marijuana use correlated with adolescent hypomania”.