Taking on More Stress at Work

I had an appraisal yesterday, and the guy who is now my manager wants me to aim for the next level and get promoted in the next year.

My mother is very worried, as she doesn’t think I would be able to cope with it. She says the job that I would be doing means that I would have to work late most days, and work some weekends.

I don’t know what to think. At the moment I work 4 days a week, and as long as nothing stressful happens, I get by ok. I don’t work any extra hours.

The problem is I am only 32. Do I just stay where I am, or aim for something better? I have limitations when it comes to my stress levels as this triggers my symptoms and makes me sick.

I just don’t know what will happen, and if I was to take this new job soon, and have relapses, I am not sure if I could turn back or not.

I was kind of thinking of having some ground rules set if I did take this, like not working too much and having a ‘work life balance’, but not sure if you can even do that?

The job itself I am pretty much doing already, but it would be a lot more responsibility.

1 Like

Not only do I think you would succeed, I think you deserve to. You’re someone I would put money down on. For real.

:heart:

So you don’t think I need to consider if I get sick from it? I am only worried now because of what my mother said.

To be honest, I have already gone from packing envelopes part time to being a data analyst in 6 years. I am not sure if this is a step too far or not.

Thanks @velociraptor that means a lot

Being underpaid and underemployed comes with its own stress and can also make you sick. I made the decision that if I’m going to be stressed as hell, it’s with a decent pay packet and some toys I can unwind with. Not everything I have tried has worked out well, but I succeed more than I fail. Failing is also okay, you learn useful things from it too.

Let your mentor know your concerns and see if there is a way for you to “trial” the position before it’s formal and jump back if it isn’t feasible. Still betting you can do it.

2 Likes

This is a good plan I think. When it comes to it I will see if we can do this for a few months on a trial basis.

This is true. I did actually ask for being able to be in this new position a while ago when I was doing well, but I got shot down.

This is also a good point. If it’s well compensated I can buy some things that are cool, and perhaps save some money.

I have been with this company since 2013, and have moved jobs 5 times. So far it has been ok moving onto new positions, so I guess I shouldn’t see this any differently.

I will speak to my mother this morning and explain this to her so she doesn’t worry.

Thanks!

2 Likes

One thing that works for me… I have trouble interacting with others on the fly. The good thing is that different people tend to phone about the same problems over and over. I’ve gamed most of the worst ones out ahead of time. I’ve got a binder to one side with stuff broken down step-by-step. I can refer to it to get back on track if someone flusters me on the phone. You know you’re going to hit some rough patches, and that’s okay. Plan ahead for it and have a course of action ready.

What most people call luck is actually advance planning and preparedness. If you can do this then you’re ahead of 95% of the population.

1 Like

Thanks @velociraptor I feel better about it all now.

I will tell my mother it will be fine. She just worry’s as she has seen me get very ill because of work in the past.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.