Supplementary Testosterone is Danger for Relapse?

I have posted this question in another discussion and maybe its better in this medications discussion so I am posting it again. My urologist has suggested that I take supplementary testosterone since I have low blood levels of it. I am 47 year old male, married since 14 years, we have one child and like to have another child. One reason so far my wife is not pregnant again may be the fact that we do not have as much sex as we used to. I work a very demanding job and I have low energy and libido at times. Testostorne production declines as men get older and it sounds streightforward to take it as supplment in order to feel younger and have better quality of life. I would like to try it out but I am worried how it might effect me mentally and my paranoid sz which has been contained for a long time. Is there a chance that it mgiht cause me to relapse? Has nyone here ever tried testosterone supplemnents and how did that go for you. Any doctors here who could give me an opinion? My urologist probably has not had a patient with sz very often and I am not going to just try it without informing myself beforehand. Thanks for any helpful info or comments.

Not giving medical advice bla bla bla. There are numerous reports of bodybuilders who are predisposed to psychosis and mania, having their mental illness worsened by using unnaturally high dosages of testosterone, so dosages above natural production clearly pose a danger. Androgens naturally produce paranoia or suspiciousness via their effects of neurotransmitters Obviously consult with a doctor first.

You can’t have a child if you supplement testosterone because it stops your production of sperm cells via luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone deficiencies. If you want a child you should talk about fertility medication with your doctor, not testosterone supplements.

2 Likes

I’ve experimented with Androgel. (My test is just above average). I’ve tried 25 and 50mg, even 100mg once. Had no side-effects or worsening of symptoms. So I think it’s obvious that treating low test wouldn’t cause any harm or most of us had that problem since most of us have normal test levels.

1 Like

I don’t think testosterone is responsible for psychosis, although I did read that high T in sz men is associated with higher IQ. If androgens exacerbated psychosis wouldn’t bodybuilders who use steroids become schizophrenic. Testosterone shoots up at the beginning of puberty, wouldn’t we develop sz during our early teens? Wouldn’t women be immune to schizophrenia.

1 Like

Why do you want to have another child if you have schizophrenia? You know it is a 13% risk you will pass it on?

3 Likes

Why do only some amphetamine and cannabis users get psychosis? Testosterone is obviously not alone responsible for psychosis. But isn’t it the case that schizophrenia develops in teen years? I was 16 when my “pseudohallucinations” started appearing and I was diagnosed prodromal schizophrenia, which was later changed to schizotypal pd.

3 Likes

I’ve been getting testosterone shots regularly for over a year to raise up my low blood levels. My testosterone readings are now within the normal range and I’ve only had good effects.

I’ve heard without any evidence that antipsychotics can lower testosterone levels and I have no idea whether mine was caused by my years and years on ap’s.

I imagine that taking testosterone supplementation under a physician would be fine. (Some people take dangerous amounts of it as a recreational drug but that’s a different story.)

1 Like

why does anyone have children in this day and age, where the world is on the brink of war constantly and air, water and food has poison in it, and lets not forget, most people fall ill with one illness or another during their lifes and everyone dies in the end? Anyone having a child has a child against the odds and in hope they will have a good life depite of it all. The future is unknown it could all turn out better than we think and some new technological innovations could end suffering and shortage. Maybe so, maybe not. So I am not sure, if my children will have a good life better than I did, but if they should inherit sz from me, I am going to be their example and support that its not the end of the world and one can live well with this diagnosis. Its true, I am doing well, I work a very responsible demanding job, I am a good husband and father, we can pay our bills and live comfortably. If I can do it, he can do it too. As of today my son is developing normal and is very able for his age. He is our pride and joy. So, another child would be great, I am an optimistic person and my wife and I provide a healthy, loving and nurturing environment for our children. if all genetic risk factors and illnesses running in a family would be considered by people prior to having children, a lot of people would probably not have children.

1 Like

“relapse.”

I wouldn’t use that word…

dude…

I did a few IQ tests in my life, they always turn out about 120 and some. I do think I am intelligent above average, I probably have lower testosterone blood levels nowadays because I am getting older and I am under a lot of physical and mental stress at work all the time.

?..not exactly sure what you mean by your comment SirBoring…whats wrong with the word relapse? What word do you suggest should I use instead? You know, schizophrenia has not stopped me from achieving and maintaining a good life…why should I be so worried that my children will not be able do the same? The risk of passing it on if one parent has it is not high at all…and even if any sort of genetic disposition is passed on, its not automatic that the child will develop it and also to what degree of severity if it shows up.

2 Likes

the word relapse makes an assumption that sz is an inactive or worst state, right?

I mean, it’s true that people can improve, but sz is sometimes natural, require meds, and be beyond a patient’s control. and so it feels like your saying that those people are in an inactive and bad state, just for being naturally sz.

also, relapse is used in reference to drugs, sometimes. and so it just feels like your comparing a naturally MI person to a drug abuser…

You make a valid argument SirBoring, but for me, my sz is basically inactive or it comes in a kind of sudden attack which then abates and disapears again. Seriously its like that for me and I was diagnosed 18 years ago. However, I understand that for many the symptoms are always kind of present and then to speak of a kind of binary switch like a relapse would may not make sense. Good Point. I still wonder how to word it so it is correct for all manifestations of sz in different people.

But you already have a child, adding another one will just raise the odds. And there is no guarantee your kid will be as functional as you are, their whole life might be just in and out of group homes or the hospital. No guarantee they will be able to work, in fact most people with this illness cannot. So you are an exception to the rule, but your child might not be.

@eduvigis, it is not your decision whether other people have children or not. It is a very personal choice that everyone must make for themselves. Please refrain from passing judgment on someone else.

2 Likes

I see @eduvigis as trying to persuade, not judging. Maybe I missed some comments in another thread, but even the warning about 13% is advice not condemnation. IMO

1 Like

regardless, it feels a bit off-topic…

OP didn’t ask for advice on that matter…

1 Like

Well, I am back after five years and this topic used to be very important to me. My wife and I had another child last year. I never took Testosterone supplements in the time since then. It felt just too risky to get on Testosterone as I have had this gut feeling it could maybe get me unsettled. I did however get myself lots of blue pills with Sildenafil over the past five years. It did help us with our sex life and still does. As I said, we had a second child last year and its a very halthy baby boy now eleven months old. My first son who is eleven years old now, is doing OK and kind of new to being a big brother. He is already experiencing the beginning of puberty and as is typical for this age, he is kind of rebellious and aggresive in one minute and still a sweet boy the next. His hobbies are excessive video playing, manga and anime but so far he is doing OK in school. I enrolled him in piano lessons and this is vey good for his soul and mental balance. My wife and I are married 18 years now and still together. Still have the same full time job since five years ago. The wish to have a second child was strongest in my wife, but I wanted it too. She is so happy now attending to the baby and being home. The story continues…

2 Likes

Fine work fella!

1 Like

You could grow some plants in your home and have a pet if you are capable of taking care of it, they help with reducing anxiety and improving air quality depending on the plant,children with dogs have a 24% lower chance to get schizophrenia according to a recent research.

Eating adequate nutrients like calcium,omega 3 and 6 ,vitamin d also helps

1 Like