Study uncovers clue to deciphering schizophrenia

The study is the first to look at the neurotransmitters glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acidergic, or GABA, in both schizophrenia patients and healthy relatives of schizophrenia patients using a noninvasive imaging test called magnetic resonance spectroscopy.
[…]
According to the study, both schizophrenia patients and healthy relatives showed reduced levels of glutamate. But while the patients also showed reduced levels of GABA, the relatives had normal amounts of the inhibitory neurotransmitter.
[…]
Read full story here:

Research paper summary:

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(16)32283-1/abstract

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

The highlight of the article:

According to the study, both schizophrenia patients and healthy relatives showed reduced levels of glutamate. But while the patients also showed reduced levels of GABA, the relatives had normal amounts of the inhibitory neurotransmitter.

This begs two key questions. First, if glutamate is altered, why do these relatives not show symptoms of the illness? And, second, how did healthy relatives maintain normal levels of GABA even though they, like the patients, were genetically predisposed to schizophrenia and had altered glutamate levels?

1 Like

i remember the drug called bitopertin which was based on glutamate had failed in 3rd phase…
that makes me sad though…

the reason I don’t like studies like this is that they still treat schizophrenia as a singular illness… when it is quite varied…

I think the real way to help resolve schizophrenia is by giving people insight on an operational level…

Hallucinations and their sub-types…
Delusions and their origins… both long standing bias and as a product of paranoia… all those things…
after taking both of those separately you can then start looking at how they are layered and interact… then you devise a plan to baby step and gradually walk-away from the essence of what each particular case of schizophrenia is… sadly the environment a SZ sufferer lives in that needs to reinforce recovery…

Normals don’t understand a SZs needs… and SZ folk can potentially have their own dose of errant crazy which can be triggering to another…

That’s not mentioning the other types of SZ like disorganized thinking… motor issues (seems like something else)… and well the other negative symptoms I guess… which really sound more like depression layered in…

then you have identity disorders and social anxieties… these are not uncommon at all to a SZ… separate things…

I think that perhaps some of us can’t picture that gay ass normal boring reality… I mean I rejected the life of the church goer and never fit in with my family nor respect authority figures… I still can accept how messed up the world is and how unintelligent it’s construction is… extortion at all turns…

1 Like

Gaba Gaba Hey…