Structural and Functional Brain Abnormalities in Schizophrenia

"Schizophrenia is associated with structural and functional changes in the cortex, as well as in the connections between different cortical regions. Recent advances in neuroimaging technology have enabled an unprecedented window into the nature, sources, and developmental course of these changes.

Structural deficits, such as reduced gray matter volume and disrupted white matter integrity, have been observed, and these changes may be progressive during the pre-onset phase of the disorder, as well as in the early post-onset period.

Correspondingly, functional imaging techniques show abnormal neural activity when patients are engaged in various cognitive tasks, including those assessing short-term memory, long-term memory, decision making, and emotion processing, and these changes have also been observed across phases of the disorder."

1 Like

Schizophrenia is like a mild intellectual disability.

2 Likes

I lost like 20 iq points it feels. never been tested. but i cannot do basic tasks, i lack initiation and motivation and energy. i have no drive/energy.

stuff that was second nature is now harder than quantum physics like brushing teeth, showering, working, and doing laundry.

i used to eat and cook and now i just barely do that. im still overweight.

i got white matter lesions that could either be tumor, ms, vasculitis (caffeine/cigs?), or just some weird crap going on or even just schizophrenia in the long run.

im sort of dehydrated too.

i used to do calculus in my head as well as basic diff eqs and now it all has to be written down. I was much smarter back then although I experienced periods of giftedness where I could do stuff I couldn’t do or grasp before. Like in college I failed the final exam in probability and I aced it when I got home years later on risperdal. It was super easy. Stuff like that. I don’t know.

1 Like

my ventricles are normal as far as I’m told. I think I got the severe case of negatives or the negative symptom type.

1 Like

I am and feel the same too.

1 Like

The dysfunction is also chemical.

i cant speak propley either.it effected my speaking abilities.no energy.

3 Likes

A reply from a pdoc that I interact with a little. The truth is it was never recognised back in the 60s and 70s that there could be people like me. Hence the ideas to work around any difficulties were never mentioned.

1 Like

I almost was able to get an f-mri but the research facility doing that study ran out of funding. Would of been interesting to see.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.