Stopping SSDI

So you can’t say you didn’t realize you owed that and pay it? What if you really didn’t know? How can you owe $3000 if you only had SSDI?

I have a rental home and worked some the last two years so I have a schedule c and a schedule e. She picked it apart.

She is saying what I claimed for pool service on my rental isn’t valid. I have proof I paid it via pay pal. She is saying I got more in rent than was reported but it was an error. I claimed the cost of my tools. I am a licensed mechanic and have a lot of tools. I didn’t keep the receipts.

It’s a long story and personal. I think I will win most of it. I will pay the rest.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I hope you can recover the receipts. Some places keep that on record, like Best Buy. Regardless I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble. That really sucks!

1 Like

It’s no big deal yet. We will see if she makes changes. The biggest penalty was the adjustment of my SSDI. That was taxslayer not me. Perhaps I will contact them

1 Like

Here in Canada, were allowed to work and receive money and the ODSP deducts what we earn from our disability, to a certain amount.

Good luck to you and your job @TomCat.

2 Likes

The lady that did my audit wasn’t at work yesterday or today so no headway yet. Not next week but the next I have to go out of town for two weeks for more training.

I hope to get this somewhat resolved by then.

1 Like

How does the union rep think this’ll go for you?

He hasn’t given me his opinion. He says I should try to eliminate or reduce the deficiency. He will sit in on a meeting with me and the auditors manager.

If all that doesn’t work he said I should appeal.

I contacted Taxslayer today and I get free audit assistance with my return so I sent them the report and asked them to help me with the SSDI adjustment. I should hear back in 2 days or so not counting the weekend.

2 Likes

At least you can get a little help. I hope it works out

1 Like

I got my first bill from Medicare today.

$542

I guess I am going to get one of these every three months now.

Ouch!

1 Like

I got my final audit from the IRS. I had to pay about $1200 more for 2017. I had claimed a roof repair that they said should have been under depreciation and that was for about $7000 so I owed a little bit.

First they said I owed like $3600 but I sent in documentation and got it lowered. I shouldn’t get in trouble now but I don’t have enough money to pay my mortgage on time now. I am going to have to pay it late next time I get paid. I put the check in the mail for the US Treasury yesterday so it will go out on Monday. I had to respond by the 20th.

At least that’s behind me. If it were still $3600 not only could I not afford to pay it but I would have probably lost my job.

The state sent me a tax refund of $1178 today so I was able to pay my other mortgage today. Not even late. Cool beans.

7 Likes

I read all your posts on this thread and I am glad that you have done so well. I’m not surprised that the government gave you so much crap and it exposes the bs all of us on SSDI or SSI face when we are made well enough again to function whether through the medicine, or just being lucky enough to recover on our own. I hope you keep moving forward and I thank you for your service. I was jealous of your wife for a time but now I see you deserve her because your a better man than I.

1 Like

Thanks. And my wife is free to a good home. No returns and no exchanges.

1 Like

Oh wow. That’s a big hit all at once. Sorry.
Edit: I said that before reading the rest of the posts. Oops!

1 Like

@TomCat, I am wondering: Can you get a Medicare Advantage plan with your Medicare now that you’re working? Or are you stuck with the 80/20 straight Medicare?

I have Medicare and Tricare for Life. I still get prescriptions under Tricare. It’s good coverage.

Ok. I have a Medicare Advantage plan. I hope if I ever return to work I can keep the advantage plan for several years because it’s a good plan.

1 Like

I just got off the phone from an interview about a mission planning job with an F16 squadron. I was a helicopter pilot not a fighter pilot but they sounded real interested in me. Said I should hear back in a week or two. They are waiting on contract funding.

They said $86,000 per year. I would have to move to Arizona. That’s where my son is. That’s a lot more than the government is paying me.

I will think about it.

2 Likes