Start Writing Fiction

About the course

Start Writing Fiction focuses on a skill which is central to the writing of all stories and novels – creating characters.

You will listen to established writers, such as Louis de Bernières, Patricia Duncker, Alex Garland, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Tim Pears, Michèle Roberts and Monique Roffey, talk about how they started writing. You’ll consider the rituals of writing and the importance of keeping a journal.

You’ll learn how to develop your ideas and the importance of reflecting on writing and editing, and you’ll hear other writers talking about their approaches to research and consider ways of turning events into a plot.

You’ll also have the opportunity to review and comment on the work of fellow writers, and receive peer feedback on your own story, learning the importance of reading as a writer and how to receive and respond to feedback.

It says 18th January but new course begins 4th April.

1 Like

Thanks! I like writing. I will definitely check this out.

i like writing too, but this is the sort of thing i’d rather do in person to have a chance to socialize. well, i liked writing. i’ve only written one serious story in the last year and a half. the rest was smut.

1 Like

A new round of this course started today.