SSRI's for negative rumination

I can’t get rid of these bad thoughts. They are driving me out of my mind. It’s just a really active consciousness that plays tricks on me. I found this comment on Reddit.

“Zoloft (Sertraline) and in general SSRIs help with negative rumination. When taken long term, they also rewire the brain to avoid rumination.”

Do SSRI’s really do this? If this is true I’d consider taking one.

4 Likes

U can always try it…!!!

2 Likes

I’m not sure SSRI’s are for me though. I like my mood. It’s just these stupid thoughts that won’t go away.

2 Likes

I do feel better talking about it though.

2 Likes

I take prozac/fluoxetine. They do help with negative thoughts and stuff like that. Just gotta take them everyday. Gotta take them everyday as prescribed though. That reminds me, I need to get them refilled.

2 Likes

That is the way it is with me. I’ve been on Paxil for probably two months. So far I don’t notice much effect. I’m addicted to rumination. Rumination can be positive.

2 Likes

The thoughts that go around in my head are every dumb thing I did in my life. How do you make them positive?

Yeah, sometimes i ruminate over positive things… usually stuff that I envision happening that never happened. It’s odd. Like my imagination going wild. It’s not necessarily turning the negative stuff around.

1 Like

I do that too, but if you can think constructively you never know when you might come up with another invention like the wheel. One idea I had was to find a way to get wealthy philanthropists to offer a billion dollar prize to whoever can come up with a cost effective way to desalinate sea water. By “cost effective” I mean competitive with the watershed in temperate climates. It would be an enormous benefit to humanity if we had this.

1 Like

Are these thoughts depression or anxiety?

I do a lot of the negative rumination you talk about, but ruminating also gives me ideas to write about. I dabble in creative writing. I find it gratifying.

2 Likes

What do you mean ‘consider taking one’? Talk to a doctor

1 Like

A psychologist mentioned antidepressants to me. But I was really against it because of past experiences. He wanted me to mention it to my psychiatrist. I’m just weighing my options.

2 Likes

If you have any propensity to mania, antidepressants should be avoided unless you’re very stable on other meds. Like Wellbutrin was the first pill I ever took and made me psychotic. But now I’m stable on other meds and take an ssri

1 Like

My ruminating thoughts actually stopped. I’m so happy.

1 Like

I’m glad they stopped. For future reference rexulti, which is an ap not an ssri helps with my rumination. I still do it but I have more control, it’s not as compulsive. Also, Lexapro (an ssri) helped me a little with that and some repetitive behaviors that I had.

2 Likes

Something like that: https://water.xprize.org/

So I had this problem and welbutrin which isn’t an ssri actually helped. Didn’t stop it but made the bad memories and thoughts less powerful and damaging to my mind

I just started Cipralex going from Wellbutrin. It helps with mood but as for thoughts they stay the same. Could be different for you @TheBest.

3 Likes

@TheBest I find L Theanine helps with thoughts and negative rumination. Kinda tones down your thinking process.

1 Like