So far, my Antipsychotic is no longer working

**I hope this works out for you soon! **

1 Like

Thank you @bridgecomet

1 Like

Rapid cycling is tough. Iā€™ve been going through that for the past couple weeks . Full mood changes in the same day. It is exhausting

Hope you feel better wave.

1 Like

Thanks @anon31257746

1 Like

Doses are individual. Paradoxically, sometimes too much is as bad as too little. Because I have been suffering depression, I had to lower my Wellbutrin. Not kidding.

Jayster

1 Like

It seemed my amisulpride was doing that - when I was first placed on it I functioned well on 400mg, but after a relapse I had to go up to 600mg. When I tried going back to 400mg it didnā€™t work anymore, like my body needed more. So I went back up to 600mg, and eventually it wasnā€™t enough - I had to go on a low dose of olanzapine as well as the 600mg. So far thatā€™s where I am.

1 Like

Iā€™ve sometimes wondered about this and what would happen if my Zyprexa stopped working.

My one is thinking is this a blip or have I been gradually going down hill and only just noticed it!

Do you believe in the dopamine hypothesis?
Do you think that your body is producing more dopamine to overcome the blocked receptors or new neurons that have been created (a theory), so are you thinking about more antipsychotics to see if this helps.

Or in rightful paranoia that you have a batch of less potent antipsychotics?

They donā€™t even know the full cause or sub causes of schizophrenia, so I donā€™t know how to help other than to say I bet your psychiatrist recommends a drug change!

1 Like

Today, so far so good - no mood episodes. Maybe I just have to give the 3 mg dose, time to work, its only been 4 days at this increased dose.

3 Likes

I still take Risperdone after all of these years.
Donā€™t quote me on this but the drug seems to work mostly like a glorified (and less addictive) Valium.

Meant to settle the mind down so itā€™s not working itself overtime (similar to the reason that some folks meditate. )
The drug requires the user to do most of the work however once the nerves are calmed.

1 Like

Yeah I can agree with that from my experiences.

Yeah I woke up - a little irritability, nothing spectacular.
I had this sense of mental calm - I was well enough to get in the car and do some grocery shopping by myself.
4 different cop cars were around - I was not so paranoid.
I am no longer going to mess with my meds and go to a sub therapeutic dose - Risperdal at 3 mg or a bit higher really helps me cope

2 Likes

I have given 3 mg of Risperdal a chance, and I am still cycling, so now its time to up the dose to 4 mg - I should have never lowered my Risperdal dose down to 1.5 mg - Its not a good idea to mess with your meds - if things are working, dont mess with this. Now it seems like the Risperdal is not working as well, and I need to push up my dose to 4 mg - this is the highest dose I have been on, I dont think I will go higher than 4 mg - I am having enough side effects as it is.
This really sucks - The bottom line is - Be very careful tinkering with your meds! I had my pdocs approval to lower it, but still - be very careful, because when you go back up to therapeutic doses, it may not be as effective - Damn this! :rage:

1 Like

I was on abilify 5mg and got on Mirtazapine 15mg,it took 2 months before the Mirtazapine starts to work and I feel goodā€¦now I am taking abilify 5mg and been on Mirtazapine 30mg stable for half a year.The key for me now is to be stable on these medication and also work on enjoying life,working hard and living a low stress lifeā€¦

Itā€™s nice of you to remind people who has a stable combination of medication to not messed with the medication especially without doctors approval,thank you

4 Likes

This comment is full of appreciative warmth.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry to hear this. I remember you were lowering it due to side effectsā€¦ now to have to raise it higher againā€¦ Iā€™m wishing the best for you. Very frustrating situation.

I do hope you and your doc can come up with a plan. I do hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

I once tried going off my meds but never worked out and then my psychiatrist ended up just putting me right back where I started now.

What about invega wave

I donā€™t think I was ever 100% well with the medicines. I thought that in the past I had recovered totally, but thatā€™s not true. I still had delusions which I can only realize now, because I donā€™t have the same, but new ones.

I tried Invega for a short period of time, with my last pdoc, it interfered with the Depakote I was on - it also did not seem to help that much with anxiety, it actually revved me up a bit.
Risperdal and Invega are nearly the same thing - I was thinking about trying it out again, but I really dont see the point, they are basically the same drug