Schizophrenia.com

So far, my Antipsychotic is no longer working

This: http://www.rxlist.com/risperdal-drug/indications-dosage.htm (click on dosage for more info) says you can go up to 6 mg. May want to consult the pdoc first.

I am already contending with some pretty major side effects Greg, I really dont want to push it too far

Maybe there is no magic cure. You’re going to have to figure out what sucks the least.

1 Like

Hopefully she will figure something out - I will listen to her advice, not going to push back, my options are dwindling

It hasn’t been extensively trialed, but I found some information on the net that suggests low-dose Haldol is an option. I’ve been researching it a fair amount since my last post, and that was what I was able to dredge up.

1 Like

That medication was Invega, which is the active metabolite of Risperdal. I switched to Haldol, which has been working ever since then.

1 Like

Wave , as far as I know you are only on the raised dose a very short time. You maybe just readjusting.

1 Like

I’m sorry you are experiencing such instability. I can’t imagine what that would be like. Years ago when I had mood problems it was the same all the time just depression. I used to take Risperdal 4mg twice a day. Do you take the 3mg twice a day? Once a day seems low. I couldn’t function when we tried to reduce it to 3mg twice a day. I always needed the four. We used it for the psychosis though. I’ve heard of using the atypicals for mood but I don’t have personal experience using them that way. Are you still on the Lamictal? Has your pdoc ever suggested ECT? I know they use it for mania and depression. I received it for my psychosis because the meds weren’t working. When I started treatments I was on 1200mg of Seroquel and 8mg of Risperdal, the max for both doses, and still living in Wonderland. The treatments cause the meds to work better also. I haven’t been getting treatments and I’m on 160mg Geodon and 400mg Seroquel and having no symptoms. Don’t give up hope! I almost did but I’m glad I didn’t. :sun_with_face:

No, I am taking 3 mg total - it is pretty low, I will raise it if I have to.
I am still on Lamictal @SunGirl - I promise I wont give up hope, thank you @SunGirl

1 Like

True @Meteor I will give it more time, about 2 more weeks or so and see - thanks

Glad things are working out for you @AberrantSalienc - Haldol is a good med

**I hope this works out for you soon! **

1 Like

Thank you @bridgecomet

1 Like

Rapid cycling is tough. I’ve been going through that for the past couple weeks . Full mood changes in the same day. It is exhausting

Hope you feel better wave.

1 Like

Thanks @anon31257746

1 Like

Doses are individual. Paradoxically, sometimes too much is as bad as too little. Because I have been suffering depression, I had to lower my Wellbutrin. Not kidding.

Jayster

1 Like

It seemed my amisulpride was doing that - when I was first placed on it I functioned well on 400mg, but after a relapse I had to go up to 600mg. When I tried going back to 400mg it didn’t work anymore, like my body needed more. So I went back up to 600mg, and eventually it wasn’t enough - I had to go on a low dose of olanzapine as well as the 600mg. So far that’s where I am.

1 Like

I’ve sometimes wondered about this and what would happen if my Zyprexa stopped working.

My one is thinking is this a blip or have I been gradually going down hill and only just noticed it!

Do you believe in the dopamine hypothesis?
Do you think that your body is producing more dopamine to overcome the blocked receptors or new neurons that have been created (a theory), so are you thinking about more antipsychotics to see if this helps.

Or in rightful paranoia that you have a batch of less potent antipsychotics?

They don’t even know the full cause or sub causes of schizophrenia, so I don’t know how to help other than to say I bet your psychiatrist recommends a drug change!

1 Like

Today, so far so good - no mood episodes. Maybe I just have to give the 3 mg dose, time to work, its only been 4 days at this increased dose.

3 Likes

I still take Risperdone after all of these years.
Don’t quote me on this but the drug seems to work mostly like a glorified (and less addictive) Valium.

Meant to settle the mind down so it’s not working itself overtime (similar to the reason that some folks meditate. )
The drug requires the user to do most of the work however once the nerves are calmed.

1 Like