Should I go on meds?

But when I was on the Risperdal, I just felt more flat and less able to think - the fear was even stronger I think, because I felt even more disconnected and stuff. Or perhaps I need to give it more time to work or try another med?

Although when I felt like I had that one day of ‘normalcy’ - I wasn’t really in the mood for music and stuff, but I did want to go outside, and I wasn’t afraid - I just felt normal (I think). Maybe my pleasure in music is sort of ‘artificial’ in this supposed psychotic state I’m in?

I also smoke a lot of tobacco since this started - I had quit prior, but then started again. I also had ECT and did Iboga, so I’m not even sure the meds will help now…but perhaps it’s worth a try.

1 Like

Maybe Risperdal isn’t the right drug for you. There are many others you can try. And you should give each of them at least six weeks before judging them. Have you given Risperdal this long?

No, I took it for like a month, but was feeling increasingly flat, deadened, depressed and even more afraid and less present…

Is this how maybe it’s supposed to work? To first flatten you until it stabilizes you and evens you out or something?

No, then you try a different med.

1 Like

But my pdoc thinks Risperdal is good for me. She tells me I have negative symptoms. Are you saying there are meds that can take away the paranoia without flattening/deadening a person initially?

I’m sza on invega. I felt better on it, no complaints

1 Like

I think it might take a little longer than a month for it to really kick in and get rid of the symptoms.

1 Like

I felt much of what to describe plus auditory hallucinations. Nothing too crazy just.mumbling and things like shut doors or car horns.

My sympto.s are more like yours and I get really uncomfortable around people. Meds helped me a lot. I am sza bipolar type.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Did the meds take away those symptoms? Can you go outside and be in public/around people now without the fear and paranoia? Like just sit on a bench without feeling exposed and afraid, etc…

I was able to go out more. The meds took away the scared feeling. I started this supplement called lions mane and I have no fear of being in public the past week. There is discussion here on it I will link it. I took it to help my memory and found it got rid of my fears of being in public and my paranoia

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Do they work as an antipsychotic or something? I’ll check it out…

From what I have read it helps control symptoms especially combined with APs. I wouldn’t say avoid meds because I think the mushroom is just helping control the milder breakthrough symptoms. But if you aren’t on anything it can’t hurt to try something.

1 Like

Thanks. I wonder if the meds will work on the fear/paranoia or w/e it is…because if they just flatten/deaden me and make me unable to enjoy anything or have any motivation for anything without doing much for the symptoms, I’m not sure there’s a point…unless perhaps I have to give them more time.

Mine did blunt my enjoyment. But I also take Zoloft now and my enjoyment and a little motivation are coming back. I take Invega 234 mg every 3 weeks and Zoloft 50 mg a day.

I really don’t know what to do. I just want to feel like I did that one day, where I felt normal (I think) - no overly strong emotions, no paranoia - just normal. My pdoc wanted to add a small dose of Wellbutrin, but I’m scared of taking an AD. I tried Zoloft and it just made me feel worse…

Thanks for sharing, btw.

1 Like

Well, all I can say is give the supplement a try. A few people here have had good results. Two have not. I am amazed at how well it worked for me. I had severe anxiety if in public and I lost sight of my husband in stores or he went to the bathroom in restaurants. Always felt like people were staring at me and talking about it judging me.

The day after taking the supplement I actually walked away from my husband and shopped on my own!

1 Like

Thanks, I may discuss it with my pdoc. She’s pro-meds and against a lot of other things, like ECT, drugs, etc. even natural herbs, as someone had a psychotic reaction to them I think and visited her.

1 Like

Oh god I remember becoming “enlightened.” It’s a trap.

Yes it is. A convincing one at that. When I start getting into this sort of thinking, I have to remind myself that I’m no more special than anyone else. I am human. I am above no one.

1 Like