Should I ask my doc to reduce my med dosages?

I am on

5 mg Zyprexa at night
150 mg buproprion SR (generic Wellbutrin) 2x a day
15 mg buspirone 3x a day
12.5 mg metropolol (for rapid heartbeat) morning and night

I have developed a heart condition due to taking the buproprion SR. I need about 4-5 alarms every morning to get up on time. Also, I am tired throughout the day because of the Zyprexa. As a result, I have to drink something with caffeine in it like coffee, which is bad for my heart.

The issue is that despite my fatigue, I have been quite stable on these medications. I work full-time and go to grad school through an online program.

I would like to lower my medications to 2.5 mg Zyprexa at night and maybe 100 mg buproprion SR 2x a day. I am afraid I may relapse if I lower my meds. Is it a good idea to reduce them, and how can I persuade my psychiatrist to do so?

Ultimately, it’s up to you, but sometimes we have to put up with side effects if the medications work. I sleep like 13-14 hours a night because of Clozaril but it’s the only thing that works for me.

3 Likes

I used to sleep 11 hours a day on the Zyprexa before they reduced the dosage. I wish I could do a trial run on a reduced dosage on Zyprexa – like for a week or two – so I could go back to the regular dosage if I need it.

1 Like

If you’re stable, the doctor should be okay with allowing you to try a lower dosage; just ask.

2 Likes

Ask your doctor if you can try a lower dose sometimes it is a trade off between physical and mental health. Finding a balance.

How long have you been stable for? Most doctors like you to be stable for a year and a half before lowering dosages. Reductions are tricky, so you want to make sure you’re smart about it. You can always talk to your doctor and ask them what they think. And I would highly recommend only changing one medication at a time.

In the meantime, could you maybe take your zyprexa earlier in the evening, so the sedation has worn off by morning? Ask your doctor if that would be okay.

1 Like

I have been stable for over 6 years. I think taking my medication earlier is a good idea when possible. The bad thing about taking it early is that I would have to take it in a public setting sometimes (locker room at the gym.) Taking the meds earlier does seem to help with sedation in the morning. Unfortunately, that means I am more sedated at night, which interferes with my studying for grad school. If I am too sleepy to study, I cannot concentrate on my studies and thus my grades would drop. I would much rather wake up early in the morning to study, but I am too sedated in the morning to wake up earlier than I usually do (about 5:30 AM.) All of these factors make me want to simply take a lower dosage of my Zyprexa medication at night.

If you can wake up at 5:30 AM each morning, sedation might not be your problem. Maybe you’re just not getting enough sleep overall? What time do you go to bed?

Some meds aren’t as sedating as zyprexa. Maybe you should switch APs. Ever try rexulti, abilify or vraylar? They can be less sedating for some people.

Or Invega, i want to add, i take it in the morning and it’s not sedating

I’m groggy whenever I wake up, whether it’s 5:30 AM or noon.

My sleep cycle is a bit messed up right now because even though grad school is over for the semester, I can’t fall asleep until 11 pm or midnight. I just read on this website that melatonin helps people with schizophrenia sleep sooner and decreases that “hungover” feeling in the morning. Is there a recommended supplement with melatonin, or can I just buy some at my local pharmacy?

I’ve tried Respirdal and Abilify. Neither worked that well. The best one by far has been Zyprexa. In addition, Zyprexa is now available as a generic which is covered by my insurance. I’d have to check into some of those newer drugs to see if they are covered.

If you’re only sleeping 5-6 hours a night, zyprexa isn’t your problem. Sleep deprivation is. I use melatonin. I just buy it at the grocery store. Make sure to buy from a reputable brand, though. Cheaper melatonin supplements also have valerian root mixed in, and that isn’t as healthy.

1 Like

I’ll try the melatonin. If only I could figure out how to work full-time, do my homework, have a social life and get 8 hours of sleep a night every night. It sounds kind of impossible. Any ideas?