Schizophrenia: Scientists may have finally solved a 70-year riddle

https://interestingengineering.com/health/schizophrenia-70-year-riddle-solved

“Until now, scientists have been unable to decipher whether the dopamine link was a causative factor or solely a way to treat schizophrenia. We have the first evidence that dopamine is a causative factor in schizophrenia,” said Daniel R. Weinberger, M.D., chief executive and director of the Lieber Institute and a co-author of the study.

16 Likes

That’s great! We need a chip or something that can control the dopamine

2 Likes

I wish the article had gone into more detail.

4 Likes

:money_mouth_face: :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

Sorry, I spent it all on camera gear.

:grin:

2 Likes

At least it wasn’t a sorry we are working with a crappy theory! We all know they help in dark times especially more than most.

Now they have confirmed it, maybe they can focus on optimisation of the meds to reduce side effect profiles!

Hopefully some of the more blunt instruments will be put to bed - as some have now already

A good investment.

1 Like

This one’s a little better.

5 Likes

One question :raised_hand:
If you are addicted to social media and these tech platforms. Ipads and iPhones play a lot with dopamine. How do you avoid this stuff. Dopamine is everywhere

3 Likes

Only possibility is to cut the addiction, use it less

1 Like

I find that just avoiding devices from the time I wake up in the morning until around 3pm or so gives the brain enough of a rest to normalise having no media input. The brain gets used to the silence. So just don’t switch it on in the morning in the first place as the brain would have broken the addiction to some extent during sleep. Not switching it on gets much easier but the first couple of days are a bit anxiety provoking.

It’s great that they have made this discovery. Something I’m wondering about: If the meds reduce dopamine to normal levels (?), what are causing the side effects? Shouldn’t you in theory just feel like a normal person with normal dopamine levels?

2 Likes

Is it just me or do we live in a time where progress is happening with schizophrenia? Novel meds coming out, this discovery, I’ve heard about nasal sprays etc.

1 Like

Any links to the new meds and the sprays?

That’s a good point. I do believe it makes us a lot stressful than we usually are. We cannot reflect or think. This should be a very important topic to discuss yet not many do so. It’s the new norm

Ulotaront and KarXT is talked about on the forum if you search for them, they also have wikipedia pages and I’m sure you can find info by googling.

The nasal spray I can’t remember where I read about it. It was on this forum. Google will probably show something there too! I think the spray is supposed to have less side effects.

Thank you. I never heard about these new meds!

1 Like

Read up on them, they have different mechanisms than current meds. They seem promising.

Something I wonder about too!

1 Like

They have a long way to go before they can predict and shape behavior without massive mood
and personality changes. Right now they are cutting with a kitchen knife, not a scalpel. But they say that this century will be “the century of the brain”, where they start to understand the circuitry of the brain. They’ll be able to do things like halting pain without causing dependency. They will learn new ways to treat addiction. They will be able to improve the learning process of many different types of brains. But it will be a long time before they have the circuitry of the brain comprehensively mapped out.

2 Likes