Reward Processing in Schizophrenia : a deficit in representation of value

I know a lot of us struggle with motivation. Heres one of the reasons why.

2 Likes

This is something I had to relearn as an adult. Still don’t always get it right.

1 Like

Yeah i have to remind myself of it often when i dont feel like doing an activity that in theory should be quite enjoyable

2 Likes

I’ve learned that I have to be somewhat of a robot when doing things like showering, shaving, brushing my teeth, etc. I just have to do it for doing its sake.

1 Like

I’m mostly able to do things like roll out the door with a camera without too much of an internal fight. Same for Oculus exercise because of how much fun it is. Currently doing a squats challenge and it takes me half an hour to work up to it. It’s getting a bit easier now that the reward is kicking in (improved endurance and I can tell my legs are bulking up).

2 Likes

For me even things like mountain biking ill think “this is gonna be meh, why bother” but if i go, within about 20-30 mins I get into it and its a good time generally.

Other stuff i do it by force with no expectation of it being enjoyable or satisfactory. The enjoyment is the bonus.

I have an easier time doing stuff if it is new, novel or adventurous.

Like a new bike trail or travel to a new area to ride or explore the outdoors stuff im always curious and motivated to do.

2 Likes