Reversing the symptoms of schizophrenia: Scientists discover how to restore brain function in regions affected by the condition

Scientists have found a compound that restores normal neuron growth

It works by blocking a protein that is linked to poor neuron connections

Stunted growth of neurons in the brain is a key indicator of schizophrenia

Researchers claim it may eventually lead to new treatments in humans

A potential new treatment for schizophrenia has been found to reverse one of the core symptoms of the mental disorder.

Researchers have identified a compound that prompts brain cells to grow new connections and ultimately restore memory deficits in people with the condition.

The stunted and abnormal growth of neurons in the brain’s memory centres is a key indicator of schizophrenia.

1 Like

This is a very interesting development, @anon93437440! Thanks for sharing it.

Since pasting an entire article can get us into copyright trouble, I’ve edited the post to show only the first part. People can follow the link to see more.

1 Like

With the new neurons, do I get a new past as well? What’s on the menu?

sorry, just joking, it’s a great development :slight_smile:

They’re also coming out with new drugs that treat Alzheimer’s. I might need that before too long.

Actually I double posted this article from two different websites with two different titles but the research is same and this post’s/thread’s title is more appealing than the previous one and more informative than the previous one so I didn’t hesitate to post it again. Even though technically it can be considered as double posting this post reasonably more informative and appealing than the previous one. We can be happy that our extremely bad memory parts of brain will function better if this works as they conduct tests…