Remember Your First Car?

FREEDOM!!!

Sure it was a fixer-upper…high mileage…rusty…etc. But it was yours! Transportation, baby! Your ticket to ride away from Mom and Dad. I still remember that life milestone of passing my driver’s exam…all those years ago.

But this was back in the day when you really could buy an old car with just a part-time job. So much more disposable income than we have today. Back when gas and groceries were just an afterthought.

(Sigh) But I digress.

7 Likes

I guess I was nervous when I did my final driving exam in drivers education, the first time and I did not see a stop sign in a residential area. I blew past it. Instructer failed me for a full semester of written and driving over that one mistake. Had to take it again. Cant remember whether it was next semester or next year that I took it drivers ed. again and passed.

In the US you could take drivers ed to get your licence early.

Anywho, first car was an old one given to by parents. It was a tan dodge aspen. 2nd car I bought myself and was a White Monte Carlo with a red vinyl roof/top.

2 Likes

Mine was a 1973 dogde omni back in 1986. Caught on fire in the front yard!

2 Likes

My 1st car was a red Peugeot 106 the cam belt went on a road trip and damaged the engine.

2 Likes

My first car was a ford falcon in the colour black

2 Likes

2002 dodge intrepid

2 Likes

1980s Cadillac El Dorado :smirk: never got to trice it tho

First car I got to drive was a Buick LeSabre!!!

Loved that car! Got me a girlfriend :grin:

2 Likes

This picture was my first car model. Cost me £200

Did the annual MOT for us people it’s a yearly test our cars have to have by law

It had three pages of failures and was labelled dangerous!

5 Likes

I had the loveliest 2000 red Toyota Celica that was stick shift. I still wish I had that car.

3 Likes

I had a 1992 Buick Lasabre. The gas gauge was broken, one tire had a steady leak, and the heat was always on full blast. I loved the freedom.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was a big deal to go cruising by myself that first evening in my own car. Ugly beast, too. 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury. Former taxi. LOL.

2 Likes

1986 Honda civic wagon.

4 Likes

i only had one car. it was an opel zafira =D

1994 Pontiac Sunbird.

Very similar to this one:

The radio didn’t work.

The passenger window wouldn’t roll up or down so was constantly about 2" open.

Additionally,

The gas gauge was broken.

However this car provided me with one of my all time favorite life stories and I’ve got some super, super good ones.

Despite it being a horrible car,

I can’t thank it enough for my favorite cocktail party story.

3 Likes

I had a 75 mustang. Red. It was a hunk of junk.

1 Like

Chevy Geo (1996?)

1 Like

I had a 1994 Chevy Cavalier. :bear::bear::bear:

1 Like

1973 chevy nova.

6 Likes

That is a beauty. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I drove a blue Saturn SUV. It had major brake and alignment issues. Glad to have my Mazda 3 now.