Reflection on prognosis

When I first got ill, I had four years of prodromal symptoms (anxiety, voices, mood swings, delusions).

Then my breakdown at 18 years old.

Took three years to stabilize and another two to go into remission and I came off my meds successfully.

For five years I had almost no symptoms, just occasional voices. Coped well.

Then in 2012 after leaving home, my relapse began. Restarted meds end of 2012.

After that it was a cycle of pdocs, more hospital stays, different meds, and episodes. Over the years I became more aware of my psychosis and yet it seemed to get worse. My depression as well.

On a mood stabilizer and antidepressant, my mood has improved. On an antipsychotic, my psychosis improved. I’m being weaned off of it though, due to side effect of raised prolactin. And some psychosis returned and now I’m struggling a bit again. My pdoc is trying to stabilize me whilst trying to get my meds sorted.

Long story short, I think my illness is getting worse. Because my first period of illness was three to five years, and it returned and I’ve had nine years of illness and still can’t come off meds.

Will I ever be able to come off meds again? Will my remission come again? Or is it true that the more episodes one has, the more likely the illness gets worse and one has to be on meds for life? How was it in you guys’ situations?

I accept if my sza is getting worse, but I hope to still function ok on meds and be there for my husband

I spent all my life with either psychosis and/or/without
unstable mood due to lack of medication options back in the 80’s, 90’s and early 00’s. I cannot live without meds today.

I was told I need meds for life. I’m ok with popping a pill every day. It just takes a moment and then you’re done. No biggie to me

3 Likes

perhaps the doc could have done what mine did, switch from Risperdal to Invega, if noticing prolactin levels high.

if you’re quitting meds cold turkey, that can definitely cause many positive symptoms eventually.

I just think of my psych meds like my supplements, gotta take 'em to stay healthy.

I’m the same way. Except for me it involves a bunch of pills and a twice monthly shot.

1 Like

I’m ok with taking pills for the rest of my life. I have to do that for my physical disability anyway.

1 Like

yea same for me… they also said to me that i will have to take the meds for life… but i don’t mind it anymore.

1 Like

I take 18 pills a day so I totally get it @SkinnyMe

1 Like

I accept my sza and taking meds too. Just fear that I’m faking it sometimes and need reassurance that I’m not.

Thanks for your input :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.