Recuperating and being confused about where to go from here

I have been on the road to recovery for awhile now after many many years of serious sz illness. I am 58 years old and feel like I want to do something with my life that is special. I am tired from the long struggle yet want to go forward. I hate to admit but I am confused as to where to turn now with my own life.

there are so many things I wanted and didn’t have because of sz, major dreams like education and marriage and the family life I dreamed of didn’t happen.

I feel like picking up the puzzle pieces but there are so many…

judy

1 Like

Remember big dreams start with little manageable steps. Take out of sheet of paper and write down some wanted goals, choose two to break down into smaller steps, choose one as your goal and the other as your “backup”. The do something each week to move towards that goal it can be as small as practicing smiling in the mirror everyday to get ready for an interview.

3 Likes

Where =I= turned:

1. Get a copy of these books, read them and have your family read them, as well. (Torrey can be a bit totalistic and unwilling to see exceptions to his “rules” at times, but most of his book is really worth the effort to plough through.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Schizophrenia-6th-Edition-Family/dp/0062268856
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Family-Guide-Schizophrenia/dp/1593851804/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=schizophren0c-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=XKLY6NWSWJSQ3VYN&creativeASIN=1593851804

2. Get properly diagnosed by a board-certified psychopharmacologist who specializes in the psychotic disorders. One can find them at…
    Find Top Psychiatrists by State. and Find Psychiatrists, Psychiatric Nurses - Psychology Today

3. Work with that “psychiatrist” (or “p-doc”) to develop a medication formula that stabilizes their symptoms sufficiently so that they can tackle the psychotherapy that will disentangle their thinking.

4. The best of the psychotherapies for that currently include…
    DBT – What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? – Behavioral Tech
    MBSR – http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/whatMBSR.php
    MBCT - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22340145
    ACT – ACT | Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
    10 StEP – Pair A Docks: The 10 StEPs of Emotion Processing

5. the even newer somatic psychotherapies like…
    MBBT – An Introduction to Mind-Body Bridging & the I-System – New Harbinger Publications, Inc
    SEPT – Somatic experiencing - Wikipedia
    SMPT – Sensorimotor psychotherapy - Wikipedia

6. or standard CBTs, like…
    REBT – Rational emotive behavior therapy - Wikipedia
    Schematherapy – Schema therapy - Wikipedia
    Learned Optimism – Learned optimism - Wikipedia
    Standard CBT – Psychotherapy | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness & scroll down

7. If you/she/he needs a professional intervention to get through treatment resistance, tell me where you live, and I will get back to you with leads to those services.

8. Look into the RAISE Project at Google.

9. Look for mental illness clubhouses in your area (which can be hugely helpful… but may also pose risks). Dig through the many articles at Google to locate and investigate them.

1 Like

thanks for the big help notmoses.

and thanks for your sweet ideas orange.

judy

Try doing something productive for an hour a day, that’s what I try to do, and all those one hours add up.

@ifeelblessed If you’re looking for meaning then find a meaningful activity, Things such as feeding the hungry, or volunteering at a homeless shelter or read to the elderly. Bring meals to a shutin or work at a food pantry, round up and deliver blankets to the cold, put money in the tin cup of a stranger, There are so many random acts of kindness to be done. If you can do them you will be rewarded by finding meaning.

2 Likes

Healthy distractions from self-pity. Great occupational therapy.

Ive recovered and Im working now I also have a partner and am getting married its never to late never give up on love and a life

1 Like