Recovery - talk about Twelve Steps programs

I’m going to a GA, Gamblers Anonymous, meeting today. Has anyone else been to one? I’m not sure what to expect. I do go to AA meetings though.

2 Likes

Well, most 12 steps programs are based on AA’s and should have similarities.

1 Like

Thanks @77nick77. I haven’t been to a behavioral addiction program before, just substance abuse.

1 Like

I imagine they have a version of the 12 steps and traditions and run the meetings kind of the same way. I went to SA a few times and some dual diagnosis meetings and they were very similar to the way AA works.

1 Like

I’m not really sure if I have a gambling problem or not, but the meeting I’m going to is an open meeting. It’s kinda like when I first went to Alcoholics Anonymous. Going to AA was my case manager"s idea.

1 Like

I went to EA a few times. Emotions Anonymous. It was mostly self-guided CBT. The social atmosphere reminded me of this place, where members would hold each other accountable instead of over-indulging in the race-to-the-bottom victim mentality that prevails in other support groups.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ninjastar. I mentioned in the Say Anything thread that I blew around $700 this month gambling. I’m hoping Gamblers Anonymous can help me.

2 Likes

I didn’t stick with EA, because the group never recovered from covid. But I liked having other people to hold me accountable.

2 Likes

That will probably work for me too. I’ve only recently mentioned blowing my money. My therapist said I have a problem not talking about stuff like this to them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.