Quitting antipsychotics success stories?

I stopped meds. It is not a success story yet, it has been too short a period. I think I quit in may 2022. It was very rough at first, now it gets better. I use as needed meds very rarely. This month I used 1mg haldol once.

For me, traumawork was important. Creating a safer situation. And diet, quitting dairy and gluten and all the other nasty stuff, is clearing up a lot. I do still have shitty PMS. But it isn’t nearly as bad as normal. And my baseline is much better. I do feel I will never get back to normal. I think, if I had been treated well in the beginning, I could have been cured. But now it is too late…too much damage of all sorts. :pensive: I’m still happy to be off meds though.

I’m very strict with diet now, though I wasn’t at first. And they are testing me for deficiencies, we expect solving those helps some more. Hope it will get a bit better still, and I won’t relapse. It is always scary, still.

5 Likes

Hope you can get better!

1 Like

I am unsure if I would use the words success + story, but I came off antipsychotics after the first 5 months. That was almost 6 years and 7 months ago. I have said in other posts, medication made me sick. So the medical team tapered me off the medication and closely observed me. At first they called once a day, then would evaluate me when I would see them once a week.

It is important to note that medication has higher efficacy in some than in others. What works for some may not work for others. In my case, talking and writing therapy was significantly more effective because of the type of person that I am.

I hope this helps

2 Likes

I don’t consider my self as a high functioning sz neither a low functioning sz. For some szs I belive an almost full recovery is a possibility. But for most of us we are only able to recover in time on meds.
In my case I just will say that a recovery only has taken place because I chosed to get medicated for 3 decades on antipsychotics.
I know I’ll stay on antipsychotics the rest of my life because I’ve got an older familie member who has got sz as well.

My recovery(on meds) started half a year ago when I dropped some rater useless antipsychotics in the trash can. That was the only med that has ever caused me to get addicted.
Well last but not least now I’m down to two antipsychotics instead of 3.
The LAI I take now with the high dose Seroquel. Keep me calm and make me shout up so that I don’t start a revolution. And best of all. now Im peacefull and politely towards others.

2 Likes

Zombie Thread??? @Bowens

1 Like

Probably not officially a zombie thread. I think the “official” criteria is 3 months without a reply. This one is from last month. But yes, its a bit old.

1 Like

Thanks!

Adding: I got off the internet completely. And will get off again. Internet addiction was another one of my issues. As well as anxiety of all the trouble of the internet. I like this forum a lot, but I’m a lot happier and more productive when I’m internetfree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will ask my doctor to lower the dose in the near future, to see if I´m stable.

I really want to be the next off ap successer here considering how hard of a time I have in them.

Considering my psychiatrist is probably gonna get a restraining order against me I just might be lol.

Jokes but seriously, it’s bruuuutal without, especially when you been on them for years. One very low dose made me sane again for a while but not sure what is next when I have another episode.

Not gonna work out my friend. Talk to a doctor about it and address why you don’t wanna take em.
Maybe they can find something else for you?

Pretty much all SZ/SZA need to take meds of some sort IMO.

1 Like